Is this a transducer?

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Sorry, I know this seems like a dumb question, but is this a transducer or triducer? Looked at a H34 on Sunday with this in the shower bildge, it has a grey wire leading aft through the limber holes but its not like any transducer I've seen before. The three instruments on the boat didn't work and were old Signet stuff if I remember right. Trying to figure out if I would need a transducer or if these are able to be diagnosed to know if the screen or transducer itself that is bad.
IMG_20190915_132110.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The one in the hole looks like a transducer. Not sure what kind. The other one sitting beside it looks like a plug. You pull the transducer to clean it and stuff the plug in to stop the water from entering the boat.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
There are no dumb questions. Just questions for which we need answers.

Yes it is a transducer. It is the paddle wheel that measures boat speed and it supplies a pulse signal to the display head. Right next to it is a companion plug that exchanges with the transducer when the paddle wheel is taken out. It is possible that this transducer, or the one for depth measurement (located somewhere else) also has a temperature sensor to measure the sea water temp.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
The one in the hole looks like a transducer. Not sure what kind. The other one sitting beside it looks like a plug. You pull the transducer to clean it and stuff the plug in to stop the water from entering the boat.
How much water enters the boat before you can get the plug on? Mine is Raymarine. I've been tempted to clean mine of weed/ algae when it seems to be erratic, but been afraid to do so. The plug is safety wired so it doesn't wander off at a critical moment.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I get 2 or 3 cups of water. Your thru hull may not have a flap to prevent water from coming in while you have the plug out- even if ever so short a time.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Depending upon the last time the speed transducer was removed and whether the PO lubricated the "O" rings when re-installing determines how easy it is to get out. What I did the first time was to place a large bath towel in a ring around the area to catch what little water comes in. Have the lubricated plug ready to quickly insert into the hole when the transducer is removed. Slowly rotate back and forth the transducer as you lift it up. Water will slowly gush up until you insert the plug; maybe a cup or two.

Once you clean the paddle wheel, slather on some zinc oxide cream (Desitin) on the paddles and some non-petroleum grease on the "O" rings before re-inserting. The Desitin will help keep marine growth at bay, and the grease will make it easier to replace and remove in the future.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
A little scary the first time but after that I pull my speed transducer if I know the boat will be sitting for a week or more. (luckily that isn't that often)
The first time I pulled it I made sure the yard guys were around in case I had a problem. Mine has the flapper and as Ron said, 2-3 cups of water max.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Awesome, thanks for confirming for me and the advice on cleaning. I submitted an offer, so we'll see what happens! I didn't see any other transducers on the boat, not up toward vberth or back by engine where I have seen them before on these models, this is the only one I found so I am assuming its a triducer, but it will probably get replaced. None of the instruments are working but I will have to diagnose where the problem is, could be as easy as a short, or could be all of it dead. Current owner has never used any of them, its inland lake and I don't think he's used the boat much in the 2 years he's owned it.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
FYI the transducers on my 34 are located forward under the shelves under the port and starboard side of the V-berth. Goes straight into the bilge once the shelf cover is pulled out.