Is it worth it to buy a Sunfish hull?

Dec 1, 2012
Catalina 27 Sandusky Sailing Club
Im looking at a Craigslist Sunfish, hull only. I don't know much about the sunfish, but it looks to be in great shape. They only want $75 for the hull. Is it worth it to buy the hull and outfit the boat with used/ new hardware?

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Believe it or not the hull is the least expensive part. By the time you find all the other needed parts for it you probably could have bought 2 Sunfishes totally equipped. Heck, I once bought a whole Force 5 (Laser clone) just for the daggerboard and rudder. Maybe buy this hull and find another one that has all the parts but has a bad hull and swap the hulls. Either that or use this hull for a paddle boat.

Dec 1, 2012
Turned out to be quite a bit of hull flex, plus a crack in the deck. I passed on it. It was much more torn up than the pic alluded to.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Good Call

That is a VERY old Sunfish with the old style rudder and you'd never (a difficult time anyway) find a rudder for it.

All of the other pieces can be had though when you add up the price it is cheaper to buy a whole boat than try to piece one together.

Dec 1, 2012
Thats what I gathered. Though when I got there, there were 2 inspection ports added, plus the new tiller style connection installed. But the hull flex was a deal breaker for me.