Is it ok to leave Shower Sump constantly on while docked?

Nov 19, 2021
Hunter 410 King Harbor
My aft shower sump is constantly overflowing when I check on the boat, I believe its related to a leak somewhere in my water line that leads to my water pump cycling every 10 mins or so when switched on (not the check valve, brand new WP and the prior had the same issue). I don't leave my water pump on but I believe the slow leak is in the shower circuit somewhere and I'm yet to find exactly where. Until I find the leak, is it ok to have my shower sump on constantly so that the holding tank doesn't overflow? With the float switch it shouldn't be pulling much load until it kicks on, is there any downside to leaving it on? Is there anything else that could lead to the sump filling up? Thanks in advance, this is my first post on the board but I've been hiding in the shadows for awhile.

Paul

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
. I don't leave my water pump on but I believe the slow leak is in the shower circuit somewhere and I'm yet to find exactly where. Until I find the leak, is it ok to have my shower sump on constantly so that the holding tank doesn't overflow?
Paul
I don’t understand how an overflowing shower sump could end up in your holding tank.

regardless, even a catastrophic release of the contents of your water tank(s) won’t sink the boat and if the sump and/or bilge overflow, your bilge pump which is presumably on all the time will fix that possibility.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wouldn't a more pertinent question be: How is a leak in your domestic freshwater system making its way into your show sump?
The shower sump should have its only opening up, into the shower pan. So how is the water getting into the show sump to start with?

Nov 19, 2021
Hunter 410 King Harbor
Wouldn't a more pertinent question be: How is a leak in your domestic freshwater system making its way into your show sump?
The shower sump should have its only opening up, into the shower pan. So how is the water getting into the show sump to start with?
Agreed, this is troublesome. Its only a theory considering the water pump cycling and the sump constantly full, I'm going to do some digging this weekend when I have some time. Open to some suggestions of where to start

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Here is what I believe is happening
The pump box is quite small. They have a very crummy check valve on the output, which always fails.
I believe that the pump is lowering the level in the box, and it’s shutting off
Then, all the standing water in the discharge hose is leaking back.
Just a theory …

Feb 26, 2004
Agreed, this is troublesome. Its only a theory considering the water pump cycling and the sump constantly full, I'm going to do some digging this weekend when I have some time. Open to some suggestions of where to start
Have you tried turning the pressure water off? And then draining the sump? And seeing what happens...?

Good call on the check valve, too, from Art.

Nov 19, 2021
Hunter 410 King Harbor
Definitely a possibility that its backfilling from the discharge hose, thanks for the suggestion Art, I can troubleshoot that pretty easily. Stu I've had the water pressure off for at least a week, there could've been residual pressure in the system which I can relieve and see what happens to the level in the sump box from there. If it no longer fills that would point to a leak somewhere in the system making its way to sump via the drain. Thanks everyone for the replies.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I think you may have 2 separate and unrelated issues here.

In answer to your question regarding your sump pump, I do not leave it on when I depart the boat. I feel that would be taking an unnecessary risk. Both the float switch and pump are cheaply made (unless you have a Whale) and any tiny bit of debris could 1. jam the float switch in the on position thus causing the pump to remain on until attended to by someone or 2. jam the impeller in the pump causing a potential over current/heating issue. I have had to replace 2 faulty float switches in the past 9 years. I regularly have to clean the impeller on the pump. I should disclose that my head sink also drains to the sump box along with the shower.

I suggest that, until you correct your domestic water issue, that when you leave your boat you turn off the water pump then relieve the system pressure by opening a faucet.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What sort of shower sump pump is it?

I have a diaphragm pump that is loud and vibrates a lot. I wouldn’t leave that on all the time.

My bilge pump is a centrifugal pump, with a float switch. It is powered all of the time, but it turns itself on and off as needed.

So what sort of shower pump are you talking about?

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Stu I've had the water pressure off for at least a week, there could've been residual pressure in the system which I can relieve and see what happens to the level in the sump box from there.
I suggest that, until you correct your domestic water issue, that when you leave your boat you turn off the water pump then relieve the system pressure by opening a faucet.
Hello Below is quite right. I always open my galley sink hot water faucet before I leave the boat, always. I also do it if I'm aboard overnight before I hit the rack.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On my Hunter 430, there are 3 water inputs to the Shower Sump box.

1) Shower, in the Head, floor drain
2) Lavatory drain.
3) Refrigerator condensate Drain

Also, in the Aft Head, are Windows that can leak to the floor drain.

My shower sump box overflows to the Main Bilge Pump.

Jim...

PS: The thru hull, that provides water to the Toilet, can be leaking to the same Shower Drain.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
On my Hunter 430, there are 3 water inputs to the Shower Sump box.

1) Shower, in the Head, floor drain
2) Lavatory drain.
3) Refrigerator condensate Drain

Also, in the Aft Head, are Windows that can leak to the floor drain.

My shower sump box overflows to the Main Bilge Pump.

Jim...

PS: The thru hull, that provides water to the Toilet, can be leaking to the same Shower Drain.
Jim
I really think you want to get rid of the sump box. Basically, they are junk, and need continual cleaning, maintenance
Put in the Whale IC system with the T fitting. It’s an install it & be done with it solution.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat came with an aft shower sump box, which I really like. Three hoses empty into this box; aft shower/sit tub, freezer and refrigerator condensation drains. While cruising, I shower regularly, with the water discharged through a separate through hull above the waterline. It never needs continual cleaning, or any kind of maintenance, but I do empty the sump at the end of every cruise so that any remaining or residual soapy water will not stink up the boat. Every other year or so, while underway, I will pour in a bit of bilge cleaning soap to dissolve any soapy film that forms in the box and empty it after the next shower.

One nice thing about the sump box having its own discharge through hull as opposed to dumping the grey water into the main bilge is a dry bilge, which I prefer. This also helps in detecting any boat leak sources that might occur. My vote is to keep the shower sump box. It serves a useful propose.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Terry,
Respectfully, the Whale IC is in fact a sump box, but a much more reliable version. Think of it as a “smart T fitting” which you can connect all your grey water into. The fitting has a capacitive sensor, which activates a gulper pump, which can literally pump anything through it without getting clogged.
You can literally plumb all your airco units, showers, etc. to one T fitting as long as it’s at the lowest flow point.

All sump boxes use tiny impeller pumps, which are very prone to getting jammed up with hair, soap scum , etc.
I went through several versions of sump boxes before changing over to the IC pump. I think you will find many posts on this forum that feel the IC is a better long term solution.
As you mentioned, you drain the sump box to try & avoid odors. This is unnecessary with the IC system as it is a closed loop, and all standing water is pumped out automatically.
One of the downsides of sump boxes is that they have a fair bit of standing water in them before the float switch turns on.
The second issue is that they all use a really crummy flap valve on the output, as a really cheap check valve. These constantly leak backwards, as even the smallest bit of hair, etc, ruins the sealing effect.
On the whale IC system, you place the pump above the level of the T sensor, and it minimizes standing water. Furthermore, the whale has a tricuspid (for all you cardiac surgeons out there), check valve, which is highly superior.
I hope this small dissertation has been informative

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I really think you want to get rid of the sump box
No way. :badbad:
It fits perfectly, has good breakers, strains hair, has good operation, and easy access. Plus the newest Rule Sump Box design is sealed, as is the wiring.

I will stick with my, OEM design. Same as @Terry Cox
Jim...

PS:
I hope this small dissertation has been informative
Yes, buy the New Rule Sump Box.

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Artboas, thank you for your commentary. Were I in want of change, what you assert makes sense. Probably a good solution to a problem. However, as long as what we currently have works and works well, no plan to change just for the sake of change.

Dec 25, 2000
And to Paul's original question, I leave our sump pump breaker off until it is time to use. However, in Paul's case I would leave it on until he finds and fixes the leak source. From my experience, those sources likely come from an improperly installed, loose or broken fitting. In our case it was beneath the sit tub/shower pan. A pain to fix because of location, but has remained trouble free after many years of use.

Wrote an article about our particular leak and the fix. Different model boat, but the situation applies. Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

• Helpful