Inverter Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill walton

I think I've finally cured my problem with the inverter/charger on my P42 overheating when the genset is running and simultaneously charging and running the A/C units. I epoxied a circular 4 in. exhaust hose flange to the rear of the inverter over the opening for the internal cooling fan. I then attached and routed a drier exhaust hose (foil type) around to a flange mounted to the edge of the shelf facing the door to the rear stateroom. I cut a round hole in the wood of the door and added a louvered vent to the outside. I removed just enough of the insulation to allow the flange on the shelf to fit snuggly. The inverter now draws air from the stateroom rather than the hot engine compartment. The exhaust from the inverter is still routed into the engine compartment. The additional noise when sleeping is negligible. I've tried it twice now and have no high temp shutdowns.

B

Brad Cavedo

Amazing! We just did the same thing, almost.

Just this weekend, on our 1997 P42, glued the flange on the unit and ran the dryer hose aound toward the aft door. I did not cut the hole, but may have to if our fix doesnt work. Instead I ran the dryer hose down the corner beside the door hinge down to the bottom of the engine room where the air is considerably cooler. We are hoping that the inverter fan will pull the cooler air up and keep it from overheating. But it is a longer haul that yours is. Since we were plugged up overnight saturday, we didnt have a chance to test it. Maybe this weekend. If it doesnt work, we can cut the hole like you did. Alternatively we will hook an inline blower into the cool end of the hose and just force that air up there. But that will mean wiring it to something and installing a switch. It is good to know that your "passive" system is working. I really believed it would take a blower to overcome the heat. Now, the question is how could Hunter make this boat this way for 10 years??? All they had to do was turn the inverter around so the intake would be away from the generator and duct it to some cooler air. We cant do that though because the power cables on the inverter are too short! Happy sailing S/V Surprise

B

Brad Cavedo

It seemed to work

Ran the generator for an hour on sunday and did not have a single over temperature shutdown on the inverter. It used to overheat after 20 to 30 minutes and then about every 10 minutes thereafter. Inverter was hot and it was blowing out hot air out its vents but apparently it was still cooler than before we ran the duct down to the lower part of engine room for its intake vents. The only thing I can figure is that most owners of the passage 42 dont even realize what is happening when that "overload" light comes on the panel. In fact, I didnt know it meant overheat shutdown of the charger until I asked a Heart representative what it meant at the Annapolis boat show. Prior to that, I thought it meant that the batteries were getting too much juice and the Heart was giving them a rest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.