Introduction and salt water trailer question

AndyC

May 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Albuquerque
Hi All!

I have been mostly lurking the forum over the last couple of years. My Wife and I have an 89 wing keel boat on the stock single-axle painted steel trailer. We've been using the boat in New Mexico, but will soon be moving to Florida's Space Coast. The boat has seen 100% fresh water use (as reported by previous owners) and the trailer looks great.

On to my question -- We're under the impression that the trailer will not last long with regular use in salt water. I have a quote request out with Triad for a replacement, but I'm not expecting it to be cheap. It seems like finding a replacement galvanized or aluminum trailer might be wise before putting this one in salt water, but if there is not much of a second-hand market for the painted steel trailers I might just go with it for now. Any idea how long mine would last with regular salt use? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Andy

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
A steel trailer built with C-channel and painted with rustoleum (2 coats rusty metal primer/2 coats finish) will last well over ten years (probably much more) if you touch it up yearly with a total repaint every 3 or 4 years. If it's a steel trailer made from box section, forget it. The salt gets trapped in the tubes and eats it from the inside out. Worst part is, even if you keep what you can see looking brand new, you won't know what's going on internally untill it breaks in half or it doesn't. Another no-no is welding on a galvanized box section trailer. The heat penetrates to the inside of the box and burns off the galvanizing, leaving an area of naked mild steel that will rust in short order.

You are on the right track of purchasing an aluminum fit-for-purpose trailer designed for salt water, as an alternative.

• Helpful
Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have 1974 Catalina 22. It is on the original trailer. It is a California boat always in salt water The trailer has been sandblasted and painted once that I know of. It looks great and other than replacing the front post for the bow roller nothing has been replaced on the steel of the trailer. The wood on the bunks was replaced 3 years ago. Trailer lights need maintenance along with wiring.I use Scotch rubber splicing tape and Scotchcote on all the connectors. I use my boat every other weekend in salt water. I wash it as soon as I get home or the next day with lots of soap and water and a brush on an extendable pole. If the trailer jack goes under water make sure to rinse it inside and out and keep it greased. I also remove the extendable tongue and wash the channel as best as I can. I store the extension on the ground and not in the trailer so it cant rust together. I also keep up an new rust with a can of rustoleum paint and a brush. I have had the trailer for two years no problems. Keep an eye on the leaf springs and axle and keep the bearings greased. IMO This trailer and boat will outlive me.

• Helpful
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Talk to these guys:

Kinda on the way if you go that way. They might even take you old trailer as a trade in or on consignment.
I can vouch for sailtrailers. I had them build a trailer for our Albin Vega 27. They did a great job. Try them first.

You can also look at Road King. They have a factory in Ocala FL, where they build the trailers currently being sold with new Catalina 22's. I live nearby, so I had them build the trailer for our '88 C22. It's a good trailer, although I did have them upgrade the suspension to 5500lbs. Today's C22's are lighter than yours (and mine) and the stock suspension is only 3500lbs if I recall correctly. Not enough! I also wish the tongue extension were longer, but it will work on most ramps. One more thing: Road King does not sell direct from the factory, and the staff at the Ocala dealership is 100% ignorant about anything pertaining to sailboats. The dealership is 500 yards from the factory and still cannot communicate effectively with them.

AndyC

May 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Albuquerque
Thanks for the tips. I'll give Sail Trailers and Road King a try. Can't wait to get back on the water!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
My experience with a galvanized trailer on my Cat 22, 33 years old used only in fresh water. The surge brakes gave me problems at around 26 or 27 years old, had to rebuild the hitch slave as well as each wheel slave to get the brakes to work properly.

My son’s boat trailer is 23 years old. It was dipped into the Chesapeake Bay for 5 years, around 13 through 18 years old with the wheels flushed with fresh water through a factory hose system. At 19 years old the brakes where rebuild with all new slaves, shoes and freshwater system hoses and dipped into the gulf of Mexico two times and flushed. At 22 and 23 years old this trailer was dipped 3 times in the Hudson River 30 miles from Manhattan but, never flushed with fresh water because the new hoses fell apart. Last fall all the brakes locked up and 2 wheel bearings had to be replaced before we got the boat home, 300 miles.

Both of these two trailers are galvanized out of C-channel, it was the brakes and bearings that caused the problems first.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thanks for the tips. I'll give Sail Trailers and Road King a try. Can't wait to get back on the water!
I'm going to be in the market for a new trailer as well... probably in the next year or two. If you find any interesting comparisons between the two, please let us know what you think. Some of the C22, non-factory, trailer designs I've seen don't seem to have as much hull support, and I'd think it could lead to a lot of focused hull stress - from a lot of highway vibrations, but I can't recall which manufacturer I was looking at.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Something to be careful of - my 87' came with the factory trailer, but the PO changed the bunks out. When he did that, evidently - a fair bit of boat support was pushing up from the swing keel and into the hull from the keel. I noticed a hairline vertical crack - starting at the foot of the cabin/bilge connection, right behind and below the cooler step - where you reach in to turn the keel winch. I had to adjusted the trailer - and ironically I found exactly the same issue with a factory/dealer fitted trailer for a separate power boat I have. Perhaps I'm skittish on trailer support issues....