Internal halyards ?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This would make an excellent halyard in the 3/16" which is really over kill but thick enough to handle:
There are many other choices. Search sailboat cordage.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Im looking for a good source to by rope since you guys gave me the info. For Halyard lines jib and main, is CD fair with their price? Since Im converting to rope from rope/wire they have the kit rope with sheaves for 166 $. Is that a reasonable Price or would I be better of with another source that will be cheaper? Just from searching a bit I find rope on ebay but the sheaves of thie size ,1/4 x 1 1/2 dia I was having difficulty finding...appreciate....Don
That’s a pretty good price for what you’re getting both product and advice. Catalina Direct is easily worth a few bucks more because their products come with tech support and a knowledge of the boat.

The halyards add up to 125 feet in length. It’s 1/4 diameter double braid line, with a braided dyneema core and braided polyester cover. That’s a step up from cruising line, more of a club racer or performance cruiser line, with low Stretch. Much lower stretch than, say XLS or StaSet-x, which were the old standbys for inexpensive halyards.

I’d expect to pay around $1.10 - $1.25 per foot for double braid dyneema 1/4 line. Samson MLX3 or New England rope VPV or Novabraid Argus.

You need pretty narrow sheaves to fit up there. The ones CD sells are made by Garhauer to fit the masthead, are for 1/4 in line, machined and anodized aluminum ,and has ball bearings. That is unarguably the best type of sheave to get, and the right size. They include 2 in the kit.

At $166, that’s a very fair deal, and worth more than they’re asking if you include the Catalina expertise that you can get for free.:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Judy B
Retired sailmaker (who likes CDs style of providing good customer support.)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
This would make an excellent halyard in the 3/16" which is really over kill but thick enough to handle:
There are many other choices. Search sailboat cordage.
I’d want a braided cover over the working end of dyneema braid. I wouldn’t want uncovered dyneema for the whole length. it’s too slippery for hands and cam cleats and clutches and winches.

JudY B

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That’s a pretty good price for what you’re getting both product and advice. Catalina Direct is easily worth a few bucks more because their products come with tech support and a knowledge of the boat.

The halyards add up to 135 feet in length. It’s 1/4 diameter double braid line, with a braided dyneema core and braided polyester cover. That’s a step up from cruising line, more of a club racer or performance cruiser line, with low Stretch. Much lower stretch than, say XLS or StaSet-x, which were the old standbys for inexpensive halyards.

I’d expect to pay around $1.10 - $1.25 per foot for double braid dyneema 1/4 line. Samson MLX3 or New England rope VPV or Novabraid Argus.

You need pretty narrow sheaves to fit up there. The ones CD sells are made by Garhauer to fit the masthead, are for 1/4 in line, machined and anodized aluminum ,and has ball bearings. That is unarguably the best type of sheave to get, and the right size. They include 2 in the kit.

At $166, that’s a very fair deal, and worth more than they’re asking if you include the Catalina expertise that you can get for free.:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Judy B
Retired sailmaker (who likes CDs style of providing good customer support.)
:plus: to almost everything @DrJudyB said. She said it better than I could while I was writing my own response.

But one correction / clarification - I think the OP has now shifted to talking about the CD external halyard kit (Halyards to Cockpit Kit Line & Sheaves, C-22, not Halyards to Cockpit Convert to Internal, C-22).

The external kit comes with 4 sheaves (not 2), and not ball-bearing. The kit description says "black ultra violet resistant UHMD plastic", which matches what I got from them. But they seem to turn fine under our light C-22 loads without bearings, so don't worry too much about that.

Jun 25, 2004
@AaronD

Yes, thank you for the correction.

I agree, the black UHMD sleeves will be fine for the Catalina.

Judy B

Jun 25, 2004
Here is More info about the rope used for the halyards from CD. I was curious, so I called Cd and then clicked around on their website.

The rope is LKrypton-D, which I believe is made by Pelican ropes. The core is dyneema SK78. That’s the same fiber as Amsteel Blue. The outer cover is polyester, which is fine.

SK78 is a newer formulation than just plain old dyneema (SK75). It is less stretch with less creep than SK75.

It will stretch a little at the beginning of the day, and will need to be snuggled up after a short period sailing under load. Then it will hardly for the rest of the day.

(It will probably stretch more the first few times you use the rope as a halyard, as the braided strands settles in under load. That’s called initial constructional Stretch.)

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
thank you Dr JudyB and Shemandr for your expertise.. so helpful Im going with CD kits makes a lot of sense...Don