Interior wall covering, what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Bloom

I stripped the old vinyl wall covering off the interior of the hull inside the cabin. It was a textured vinyl with a thin foam rubber backing. The vinyl came off easy. The foam rubber took a wire brush on a 7-inch grinder and a whole day of incredible dust. The interior of the hull is still pretty rough, so I feel it needs to be covered with something similar to the original wall covering. I have not been able to find the foam backed vinyl. Does anybody know where I can find it? Alternatively, what else can be used to cover the interior of the hull? What kind of results did you get? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, John

C

Colin Nielsen

Hull lining

On a previous boat I had, I glassed several plywood strips to the inside of the hull and then installed tongue and groove wood (I used cedar), which I attached to the plywood strips with counter sunk screws and then plugged the holes. I finished it with varnish and it looked great.

M

mark v.

interior hull lining

go to a fabric store and inquire about overheadlining matrial for cars or an upholstery shop can get you in the right direction if a soft finish is what your looking for. 3M makes a ral good , strong spray adheasive that will do the job of bonding it to the hulls interior...sounds like you've already done all the hard work...now comes the fun part! if you use spray adheasive be carful not to "soak" the fabric we spraying the adheasive

S

Sam

Headliner

John,I agree with Mark.We redid the walls of a 78 H25 last year and used automotive headliner material.This came in a variety of colors,was 6 ft wide,and had just enough foam backing to cover the rough surface and make it fairly easy to work with(enough thickness to prevent wrinkles).I think it cost appx $6-7.00/yd.The 3M headliner adhesive worked great.Spray both surfaces,allow a few minutes to become tacky,and after a few moments of "agonized thinking"apply.Do not use the "heavy duty"spray because it will bleed through.It took 10-12 cans for the entire boat but the final result is great.

J

John Bloom

Thanks Sailrite.com is it

Thanks Jim. SailRite.com has what I was looking for. Thanks also to all the others who had suggestions. I would be interested in hearing more about the wood paneling (for a later project). John '77 O'Day 27

Status
Not open for further replies.