Interior paint

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Headliner in Freedom is 40+ years old. Ragged as a bowl of sauerkraut. Going to remove. Any suggestions on paint for overhead. Thanks...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You will probably have a lot of work to make it paintable. I don’t have a McGregor (I assume that is your boat).

If your fiberglass cabin top is anything like mine, it is really unfinished under the headliner...
DA9F6F5B-0000-4858-B857-8A29077C156A.png
Around 8:10 on the video, you can see where I opened up the liner to get to the backing plate under a rope clutch.

That would take a whole lot of prep work to get it paintable.

In my old boat (1996 Hunter 280), the fiberglass was pretty rough under the liner was well.

Might be easier to replace the headliner.

Have you opened up any sections to see what you are dealing with ?

Greg

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
There are a lot of paint from two part epoxies to house paints. The best paint I have found is rustoleum Oil based enamel, put it on my mast 10 years ago, painted a friends car with flat back and did my motorcycle trailer. You will need a lot of prep if you want it to look like the liner but if you just want it to like the sides above the liner then it won't take a lot of work.
Or--- if you are in a hurry you can use any good gloss interior paint like for kitchens.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lyn & Larry Pardey recommended adding a bit of blue to white paint for interiors. Makes it easier on the eye and somewhat warmer. Good luck. I've had good luck almost everywhere I've ever used Rustoleum products.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I cleaned the surface real well then used Binz sealer primer and Rustoleum top side white. Came out mint. Hard as a rock. Uses a small roller and cut it in with a brush. Absolutely no brush marks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Here are a couple shots.
Well, that doesn’t look too bad.

I was watching Saillife last night and the guy (Madds?) is using PPG Sigmadur 520 on his interior. He thought it was a little too glossy for his taste, but YMMV.

Look around 3:40 for him to describe the paint.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I used an oil based exterior paint from Lowes on my Mac, but have used Rustoleum on other boats in the lockers, and really think it adheres better. The slightly yellow color works out real nice, you don't get "snow blind" when inside.

Jul 29, 2010
Great minds...You guys must be mind readers. I am considering using Rustoleum high gloss Oil base white. Will prep first. Painted all doors and baseboards in my house about 20 years ago with same. Wears like iron, cleans up great. That settles it. Thanks... What is top side white?

May 16, 2011
It is the Rustoleum version of topside paint. Dries with no brush marks and is rock hard. Better than the regular enamel.

May 16, 2011
It is oil based. Sticks to the Binz primer like glue. First coat gets everything. I then do a second coat to cover any vacation spots. I cut in with a brush then used a small roller. One of the best mods that I have done.

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks again all for the advice. Just one of the many things I have to do to get Freedom back in the water. She's been sitting on the trailer for a long time. Glad we have this site.