Interior Finish 2007 Hunter 49?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Hunter used Daly's Sea Fin and Pro Fin products to finish interior wood in the past but the finish in my 2007 Hunter 49 seems to have a glossier sheen then those products. Anybody know which other products they may have been using?

Also, as long as you are pondering I was thinking of using silicon grease on my opening port rubber gaskets but decided against for fear that would attract to much dirt and create a sticky mess. What products have others used to treat window and hatch gaskets?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I was told by Hunter they used Mohawk products on my 2007 49
Unfortunately I'm traveling and can't get the list of what they used by item but was defiantly Mohawk on the wood trim

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Also, as long as you are pondering I was thinking of using silicon grease on my opening port rubber gaskets but decided against for fear that would attract to much dirt and create a sticky mess. What products have others used to treat window and hatch gaskets?
Won't say this is the only product to use but I've applied it annually after cleaning the gaskets and they still look like new after 16 years.
Meguiar's.JPG

Jun 8, 2004
Dave thanks for the information, I appreciate it.. I printed it off and have it saved in my files ... I will be ordering some Mohawk stains and sealers today.

Ralph ... great suggestion I generally love Meguiars products. I use their polish and wax annually on my hull so I will definitely give their vinyl and rubber product a try

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
A side question. I am tearing out the vinyl in my v-berth and planning to replace with wood. So far I have found a red cedar tongue and grove plank and pine. I like the hardwood versus pine. I think I have found a way to get ride of cedar smell -- but are the other options that would not break the bank?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I was told by Hunter that my 2007 H-36 was one of the last boats with teak before
changing to cherry.
My instructions say to use the Mohawk spray can for touch up on the teak parts and the walls
seem to be teak laminate and to use the daily oil they gave me on the laminate and guessing different from yours.
Nick

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
A side question. I am tearing out the vinyl in my v-berth and planning to replace with wood. So far I have found a red cedar tongue and grove plank and pine. I like the hardwood versus pine. I think I have found a way to get ride of cedar smell -- but are the other options that would not break the bank?
I did this job in my 49 aft cabin
I used ash planking, which matched the rest of the boat
Look up in the archives how I did this job before you start

Jan 1, 2014
Found the document - two questions if you don't mind. First where did you find the ash planks? Second how thick was the plywood and the ash? I am trying not to add to much in the way of thickness as the old p42 vberth is tight already

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Brezzin / Dave
I have fairly significant differences in wood color; for example the cabinet door trim vs the centers of the doors vs the ash planking. There is one Mohawk stain color on the attachment that you sent. Is that the only color? If so, I assume the variations in shades through out the boat are due to differences in the wood used or is your 49 all one shade?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
No I have different shades as well. I found the mohawk good for wood trim pieces that usually get scratched. Haven't really needed on the door panels......yet.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Found the document - two questions if you don't mind. First where did you find the ash planks? Second how thick was the plywood and the ash? I am trying not to add to much in the way of thickness as the old p42 vberth is tight already
Hi. Glad you found the document. I am incredibly pleased with the way it worked out. Not to offend other 49 owners, but the stbd aft cabin vinyl wall is just horrific to look at. I cherished the day I took a knife to it.
I got the ash planking from Hunter. They were exceptionally supportive of this project, and have always helped me out. I doubt they have this any more, but they could likely direct you to where they bought it from. Having said that, you could just buy ash stock, and run it through a router table to shape the edge.
I believe the plywood was 3/8". It must be high quality marine ply, and you have to rip it on a saw to get it to take the curve.
You are welcome to contact me for more detail

Jan 1, 2014
Finished the V-berth wood project

Thanks for help. Used marine plywood coated with expoxy to make strips/stringers space about 18" apart. Epoxied back side of 3/4" by 1/4 western red cedar (no cedar smell) and wood glued bull nose between boards and coated front with helmsman

Attachments