Insurance for the investment: Boat and Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Good Health and Fair Winds to all Sailors.
Please help me with your experience in your Boat and Trailer Insurance....special company, special planes, etc.
I am a begginer...with a Mac Gregor 26M.
I apreciate all your coments and sugestions.:)

My area of sailing is South Texas The laguna Madre to the North.
My 2011's travel plan is a cruise traveling from Brownsville to Miami in the MacGregor 26M. I'm still planning the trip by the ICW

Thanks. silvercharlio

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
not sure I understand your question...

I have boat and trailer insurance with State Farm, who also covers everything else.
-but never have made a claim.

BoatsUS ins seems to have good recommendations.

Are you going to mexico, or outside US waters? if yes, you might need a rider for coverage..

Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Thanks for your comment Mr. Bill.
I am a Mexican begginer sailor. Live in Matamoros, across de south border of US...Brownsville-Texas, I practice sailing in the Laguna Madre( Gulf of Mexico) and I need to buy a insurance for my MacGregor 26, my plan is 2011 travel in the ICW to Florida and return. My boat is the MacGregor 26M with a 60 hp evinrude. and the trailer.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hola Amigo, I am also insured with State Farm in the U.S. Not sure what Mexican insurance will cover and what the laws are down there. I sure love your country and the people. I am also a Texan. Via con Dios. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I believe that if we take our boats to Mexico we are possibly required to have them insured while there along with our vehicles if we tow them.

If you boat into the states then proof of insurance on your boat is not require as far as I know and I don't believe you are required to have insurance on your boat while in the U.S..

Now if you trailer in then most states require that you have vehicle insurance and it should cover the towed vehicle as long as your insurance company states that it does. Most of that insurance is only liability and protects the person you might hit. If you want more then you need to add that. We have our boat on our home owner's insurance (Liberty Mutual). Nice thing about the Mac is that it is under 26 feet and easier to insure on a home owner's policy.

Have a great trip and plan way more time than you think you need. We have been pinned down now for about 4 days with excessive wind and cold. No problem we are in no hurry as we don't have a fixed plan. We do hope tomorrow to move down to Captiva, so don't know if we will have internet there are not.

c ya and I've also had some great trips/memories in your country and we hope to do the Sea of Cortez at some point,

Sum and Ruth

Mac

Jun 7, 2006
MacGregor 25 KEUKA lake NY
Insurance as well

I use All state and pay around 16.00 per month. My main concern was if it fell off the trailer I wanted replacement cost and also if it came undone from my dock and drifted into other boats or rocks. My replacement cost for my 1982 Mac 25 is 6000.00 and my motor is 650.00 I hope I never have to make a claim. The 16 dollars per month is worth it. I have all of my insurance through All State and I'm very happy with them. Good luck Amigo! I love Mexico, especially Barcelo, and Shelha (sp)

Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Thanks for all the comments. It is very importan to me your recomendations.
I have only a very limited car insurance . I need to do a reconsideration and the mos important is speak with the insurance company about the boat and trailer. I appreciate all your coments. Thanks(Mr.Bill,Freedom,Sum, and Jerry) for help a begginer sailor. If you plan to travel south , remember you have my help at all time. I promise reply with all about the insurance. and I wait for more opinions.
GRACIAS AMIGOS...SALUDOS A TODOS. Dr. C. Lozano.

Status
Not open for further replies.