installing a am/fm cd player w/speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bernie

dear friends, i want to install a am/fm cd player with two speakers on my catalina 22 and was wondering if anyone can tell me where they think is the best location on the boat. the speakers i bought were the mini flush mount type. any suggestions would be great. thanks bernie

D

Dave

Re: Stereo

I've often thought of installing the same type of stereo in my boat. I've since concluded that I don't want to consume that kind of power from my battery. You'd be surprised how much amperage even a low wattage auto/marine stereo will draw. Have you checked the specs on the one you bought? Anyway, if I were to do it, I'd install mine above the table under the decking (below the windows). As for the speakers, that's a good question. I would think you want the sound out in the cockpit as well as in the cabin. There doesn't seem to be a good place for flush mounts that will point directly at the companionway opening from inside. If you mounted them outside (cockpit), then you won't get very good sound quality inside the cabin. I was thinking of using small enclosed speakers with bracket mounts on the bulkheads. That way I could adjust them for direction if needed. I've decided to use a small portable CD boombox. That way I can put it where I want, and it doesn't draw on the house battery. Good luck in your installation.

B

bernie

am/fm cd

thanks for your input regarding the stereo, i bought a piece of plywood today and i am thinking of cutting out a small dashboard for the radio and maybe the spearkers as well. i measuresd the space on the port side of the boat behind the bulkhead and i have 16 x 10 openning to work with. this location may work since the wiring to the battery is very close. i was concerned about the battery but, i currently don't really have much draining the right now. i try to conserve where ever i can including using a hand held vh radio and i have a solar panel hooked up all the time. thanks again for your idea, i will check it out.

S

Steve

Stereo speakers

I have had similar thoughs about where to mount the speakers. I currently use a boombox. Most stereos will accommodate 4 speakers. I have the idea that you could mount two of them in the cabin for inside use. My thought then was to get two enclosed speakers and hang them from the stern pushpit on either side, facing forward. They could be attached with disconnects so as to be removable. The wires could be run out of the lazarette on either side. Good luck on your project. Steve

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Loctation, location, location...choices

Bernie On our C22 and then C25, we only had inside speakers. No one's gonna be down below on a C22 when you're sailing. And, down below is not that far away from the cockpit. Just turn up the volume. At the end of the day, it's nice to have the music down below. (That's assuming you stay on board or spend time below after a sail.) I would avoid the temptation to complicate things with four speakers, and just mount the two speakers where you think they'll work for you. (Unless you only day sail and never go down below, in which case, go for the topside spakers.) If down below: it's also tempting to put them port and starboard, but remember you're usually sitting on the port side. (Assuming an older C22 with the dinette.) So, you may consider putting the speakers fore and aft along the galley starboard wall. We just used a boom box, tied carefully off to the leg of the dinette table so it wouldn't go too far when sailing. The C25 had the speakers mounted in the bulkheads, pot and starboard. I'v put thm fore and aft on our C34, so when we're in the saloon we get the stereo effect. Good luck, Stu

H

Herb

four speakers

When we are out we often have atleast one of the girls in the v birth reading or something. So I have four speakers with two being on the starboard side in the shelf area and the other two are small water proof ones that are hung from the solar panel rack on the stern. Both inside speakers are on the starboard side because the compass in mounted on the port side in the cockpit. I learned the hard way that the speaker played with the compass ( could not figure out why it always said I was going due north when I knew I was going South and the GPS proved it. I moved the speaker and sure enough the compass and the GPS now agree. )I also have a small speaker for the VHF back there. It is a perfect place for when I am at the tiller I can control the volume and still enjoy the music. As for the draw on the batteries I have two group 27 deep cell batteries. I run a depth sounder, stero, VHF ( mostly on recieve) and a garmin 2010C mapping GPS and I am able to maintain the batteries with only the solar panel. I draw down about 1/4 of the bank in an 8 hour sail and that Is replaced in two days of solar panel use. If we overnight I use a low draw LED anchor light and a liquid wax latern to save the battery bank for day use. You will be suprised how well a solar panel will replace your batteries.

G

Greg

Coaming

I have only two speakers for my radio cd player and I mounted them in the coaming compartments in the cockpit. They are out of sight and out of the weather, even though they are marine grade speakers. We use the radio all the time. Greg

D

Dave

Greg

What kind of speakers did you use? Did you get some small flush-mounts in there somehow, or just some small enclosures? Got any pics? I was thinking of adding a couple of small speakers there myself and drive them from my boombox. That way I can leave the boombox in the cabin and not have to crank the volume high to hear it in the cockpit.

G

Greg

Coaming Speakers

No, I do not have any pictures, sorry. I believe the speakers are 3" and I bought them off e-bay. The speakers work great and we can hear them either in the cabin or in the cockpit. Greg

G

gagews

XM or SIRI Satelite Radio

While you are at it, possibly pickup a satelite radio. Don't have any experience with them, but can receive commercial free radio.

B

Bob B.

Peace & Quiet

Hi Bernie: Small stereo speakers fit nicely on the bulkheads. I mounted mine in a cut down tin can painted flat black. Plenty loud enough for me no matter where I am sitting. I stopped carrying a battery, & as a day sailor, I find the peace & quiet is great. Regards, Bob B. I now notice that the speakers do not show up very well in the picture but they are there on the bulkheads close to the hull.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
What's the rack for...

Bob: What is the rack on the starbard side bulkhead for? We keep our charts and cruising guide there, and I would like to have a rack to hold them, so that they don't fall when we heel. I don't think that that's what your rack is, but I'm still curious what it is. Thanks, Aldo

Apr 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Marinette, WI
Re: pic

I like the early-american compression post too! Was that original? Mine is just a chromed metal pole.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Pre-1986

I think the pre-1986 C22's had the wooden compression post and the 1986 and later models have the steel tube.

B

Bob B.

Speakers-Rack-Compression Post

Hello Aldo, Dave & Bernie: My C22 is 1980 vintage & I assumed that all 22s had the "early-american" compression post. I took it out to refinish it. It would be an easy job to install a wooden spindle. The PO had a built in cupboard forward of the stove. They used to weekend in the boat with a small child & did some cooking! I took out the cupboard & stove as I am a day sailor not a cooker. Regarding the rack, I also have been curious for 14 years, maybe they were wine drinkers. I would like to use the rack but don't have anything that fits it. Any ideas? In this new picture, you can just make out the stereo speaker on the bulkhead. Regards, Bob B.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Toms River, NJ
A MUG Holder????

I have seen a rack like your before and it was sold as a mugholder. Check out the store here, they have a product that looks jsut like yorus but only with one column, where yours cleary has 3 columns. http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.tpl?cart=3295921442397978&fno=20&group=345

B

Bob B.

CC & Mug Holder

Thx Mike: A mug holder it is. Hadn't seen one before. The previous owner must have had a whole bunch. I guess a bottle of Canadian Club would fit too! (Rye whiskey) Regards, Bob B.

Status
Not open for further replies.