Inspecting your aluminum fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I just had a survey done on a 9.2A. The owner had recently had the fuel line replaced and the filters replaced. It was clear that there was a leak at the top of the tank in the past, however, there was still too much evidence of a persisting leak to satisfy the surveyor. This was a strong fuel odor and the greasy appearance of the hull surface under the tank. There no longer was a leak at the top of the tank to cause this, however, it is worth noting that whoever did the work failed to clean the tank and the area after the work, making further evaluation of future leaks more difficult. The surveyor used a mirror to examine under the tank at the front lip. We saw what appeared to be brown splotches which he said were indicative of pinhole leaks in the tank. This is caused by water sitting in the tank at the front end, which is the low end in this instance. He said it is common in aluminum tanks, especially when a boat is not used much and if it is stored in a slip, where the boat doesn't seem much movement to keep the fuel well mixed. After photographing the splotches he wiped a finger across the largest, confirming the presence of fuel. He then cleaned the area, suggesting that it be examined at a later date to get an idea of the rate of leakage, which he felt would be very small. He suggested replacement with a plastic tank and confirmed, upon my asking, that patching with epoxy in the meantime was warranted if I was going to let it go until fall. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.