Info on 3 blade prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

berwin

Sep 9, 2005
- - Oriental, NC
I have a 1989 30 TR with a 2 blade prop (Come with boat new) I would like to know which is the better 3 blade prop. Would like more cruising speed for the ICW. Thanks

Jun 4, 2004
- - Portland, Oregon
Prop

I replaced the two blade on my 88 30 with a 3 blade 'Cambell Sailor'. I have run it now for three years and am very happy with it, good thrust and drag is really not noticeable-I think that a dirty hull or poorly trimmed(and/or worn out) sails are bigger speed robbing issues. The thousand dollars I saved not buying a folding or feathering prop was put to good use elsewhere on the boat.

W

wayne willaims

what size and pitch on Cat 30?

What pitch and size campbell sailor did you install on your Cat 30? Boat owners often speak of prop names or types but isn't it all about size and pitch. thanks wayne

Bill N

Sep 10, 2005
- - Barnegat Bay, NJ
Michigan 10 x 13 RH

I believe mine is a standard (not their sailer version) Michigan prop.

May 28, 2004
- - Lake Norman, NC
3 Blade

I believe for coastal waters you will be happier with the 3 blade prop. You will get that extra power you need dealing with currents which can be encountered in the ICW. You will notice more propwalk when backing the boat. This may take some getting accustomed to, however, I think the 3 blade is a must for coastal waters. Chip s/v No Ma,am

W

wayne willaims

catalinas response

catalina's help line offered up that they generally put the 13x10 on older 30s with the m25xp. i hear good things about the sailor and it is only marginally more than the std michigan wheel 3 blade. i have a gori 13x9.5 folding 2 blade and its performance is marginal in a little swell and headwind. i have tried to quiz owners here but most only know the type and not the size/pitch which makes it really hard to compare. good luck with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.