Indoor Plubming Mod On 26C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I had met the nicest couple who looked at my boat today and they solved my boat's biggest mystery. That lever in the laz isn't a "Passenger Ejection" switch after all!

ForumRunner_20121118_181142.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_181041.jpg

Nope. It is a pump handle to pump out waste material from the lavatory!

I have discovered today that the P.O. has built a complex and yet ingenious system of getting rid of waste materials. He installed pipes that run from a modifyed porta-potty, under the seats and out the hole on the port side in the aft of the boat under the laz.

ForumRunner_20121118_181911.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_182021.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_182213.jpg

Illegal? Yes, but so are most good things in life.

A keeper? You bet, this mod will be popular with the ladies.

Not sure yet if sink waste water also is tied into this indoor plumbing but will find out tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Wow all that work to evacuate some sewage. The PO could have got a 12V pump cheaper than that hand operated one. Be a little less noticeable too.
I kind of wondered if it was for some type of pump when I asked about it. I am surprised at the complexity of its installation though.
Just a note about double clamping hoses. It may be in your best interest to get some clamps on the sewage lines. (Wire ties don't count as clamps.) Ya wouldn't want a hose to come off while pumping....

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Rather bizarre plumbing mod. I also doubt it was used exclusively past the 3 mile limit.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did the PO have medical issues or just serious beer drinkers?
We usually take care of business before and after a sail.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Justin_NSA said:
Did the PO have medical issues or just serious beer drinkers?
We usually take care of business before and after a sail.
Perhaps but he had passed away due to old age and I purchsed the boat from his wife so no way to know. I do know that he was at sea for extended periods as he did a lot of fishing from his sailboat. Or maybe due to advanced age or beer consumption, his bladder needed to be emptied often? Maybe due to arthritis, hanging over the side to pee would be dangerous?

I suspect that the plumbing was primarily used for liqued waste and not solids.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I've seen these types of setups before.

if you have solids, its going to stink. (bad). the hoses and pretty much everything isn't made for waste.

liquids only, will not be a problem. stink wise.

but if uscg does an inspection, B I G - T R O U B L E !

you have to have a 3 way Y valve. and can lock it... legally.

wag bags or double doodie bags are easier for solids.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Red Cup

I go with the "Red Cup" pottie helper.:D

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I've seen these types of setups before.

if you have solids, its going to stink. (bad). the hoses and pretty much everything isn't made for waste.

liquids only, will not be a problem. stink wise.

but if uscg does an inspection, B I G - T R O U B L E !

you have to have a 3 way Y valve. and can lock it... legally.

wag bags or double doodie bags are easier for solids.

Actually you don't need the Y valve unless you can discharge directly from a head overboard. In this case, if I understand it, the waste goes into the portapottie tank first and then you can pump it overboard. We are going to set up the Endeavour like this. From the head to the tank and then overboard with a pump or at a pump-out. No need then for a Y valve. This is what WM and others recommend.

If we were going to be off-shore a lot then we would put in the Y valve to bypass the tank and then it needs to be lockable. The Endeavour was this way. In the new configuration the valve between the bottom of the tank and the thru-hull will be lockable, but in his case the path from the bottom of the tank is uphill so I don't think it would have to be lockable at the thru-hull still he needs to make sure there is a valve at the thru-hull to protect the boat from sinking if the line just inside was damaged.

The lines can stink. We pulled all the lines out of the Endeavour for that reason and are replacing with PVC and sanitation hose,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Ok, makes sense. thanks.

on the pvc, as you know, it should have 'some' hose in there to allow flex.

sanitation hose is $$$ but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.