Important question: The Hunter 38 was build in UK too?

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Hello, Sorry for my english. I'm interrested by an Hunter 38. But... It seem possible some 38 sell in Europe was build by legend in UK. I think in the past it's only just for the boat until 36 model.
If some 38 was build in UK, they are like the 36, not same quality? Some difference? Thanks in advance!

Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Different boat? It's same interior, same motor, same winch, same mast, same hull, same etc... What the real difference? If ot's not the same boat they are so similar i have a problem for make a diffrence.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Hunter (Alachua, Florida company until sold to Dave Marlow a few years ago) used sub brands like "Passage" and "Legend" on boats back in the 90s, and, I believe, into the 2000s. Example "Hunter Passage 42" and "Hunter 37.5 Legend". I vaguely remember reading that there was a UK based company also named Hunter that forced all Hunters sold there to be branded Legends, but they were built in the factory in Florida. Maybe someone from the UK will chime in?

Correction, I did a little research to find this: So apparently there were manufacturing operations in the UK, but not clear what models, or if it was just "finishing" instead of a complete build.
Monday, 11 December 2006

Luhrs Marine Limited, a subsidiary of Hunter Marine Corporation, America’s largest sailing yacht producer, began manufacturing operations in the United Kingdom in early 2001 as a significant investment to gain market share and credibility in the European region. Hunter products are marketed under the Legend brand name in the UK and Hunter throughout the rest of the world. Peters Opal is the main distributor for Legend yachts in the UK and Hunter Yachts in Spain.

In most aspects, the UK investment was a success, and the Hunter brand has continued to experience growth and increased market share in the world’s largest sailing yacht market, with active distributors in 25 European countries. The work ethic and efficiency of the local UK labour force has been excellent, and has allowed Luhrs Marine Limited to build over 600 mid-range yachts from this facility to date.

The decision has now been made to consolidate manufacturing to the main US factory in order to gain greater efficiencies from the additional volume of European sales and to help offset the softening being experienced in some of the global markets Hunter serves; including the US boating market. At the same time, Hunter Marine is accelerating its new product development program with a strong view towards European customer tastes to ensure continued acceptance in this significant region.

Further, Luhrs Marine will retain a sales support, plus customer service and parts premises in the UK, which will keep Hunter close to their customers and allow them to serve the growing European distributor base in an effective manner.

Hunter has recently introduced its new 50’ flagship yacht, which will be making its UK Debut at the London Boat Show. At the smaller end of the range, Hunter also introduced its new Legend 27x performance boat at the recent Southampton Boat Show with strong sales results this will also be exhibited at the London Boat Show."
Read more at Luhrs Marine closing Portland factory

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019
hunter 380 france
Thanks a lot Ed. I found a guy buy a 38 with in the serial number UK. So, some 38 come from UK. But now, i must to find the real difference... Like i read in your thread, perhaps it's not build but only finish in UK, but perhaps not... Same material, same quality? Same Gel Coat, Vynilester like US or polyester? I try to found information, but... I found some about Hunter 36. A lot of problem when they build in UK. But no thread or information about 38.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Someone from the UK is chiming in;)
Before they went into liquidation, I believe the Opal Marine company used to sell Legend Yachts, and as far as I know they where are all imported American Hunters.
All the UK yard did was, market, commission and were authorised by Hunter do any warranty or extra work necessary.
The Legend name was to save any confusion with the manufacturer/builder of the British Hunter, so in saying this there is definitely no connection.
I believe the UK Hunter/Legend concessionairs are now Marlow Legend Yachts Legend Yachts probably acting on the same policy as the previous business.