I bought a 2000 MacGregor 26 X, and looking for help on how to rig the boat.

May 29, 2021
MacGregor 26M Georgian Bay
If someone can give me a good link for that information. I would also be more than happy to come to you so you can demonstrate in person. I will be happy to pay $50/hr with a $100 minimum. I am located in central Pennsylvania between State College and Harrisburg.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Oh the fun of owning a new sailboat is to figure out how to rig it!!

Where do you sail? Are there other sailboats there that your marina neighbors can assist?

Same issue came up on this thread Rigging our new (used but NEVER sailed) MacGregor 26X and baffled!! | Sailboat Owners Forums
Suggest doing an internet search on "macgregor 26X rigging" for YOUTube videos on how to rig your boat like these Rigging a Macgregor 26x – the first time – Foghorn Lullaby and (13) HOW NOT TO RIG A MACGREGOR 26X | CANADA TRIP 2016 VLOG #23 | Sailing in the Gulf Islands - YouTube
AND referring to the owner's manual Macgregor_26X_67764704.pdf (sailboatowners.com)

Last edited:
May 29, 2021
I reviewed the manual but left me with more questions than answers (nothing about a jib furler and mast raising system for instance). Then I started watching "how to sail" videos on Youtube (I sailed Hobie Cats on the Chesapeake 40 years ago). It is coming together!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Does the mast raising diagram, photos and discussion in the manual help? The jib furler should be a matter of attaching it to the deck once the mast is raised and running the jib sheets aft.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
You may want to check with Todd McChesney at Blue Water Yachts. I have found them to be the best source for information and help for all things MacGregor.

May 29, 2021
You may want to check with Todd McChesney at Blue Water Yachts. I have found them to be the best source for information and help for all things MacGregor.
I did run into them on the internet before buying the boat. I was aware the MacGregor company no longer exists, so I looked how available "aftermarket" parts were. Because of them, I felt comfortable buying a 21-year-old boat!

May 29, 2021
I was wondering how many turns of the line should I put on the real before mounting the jib!

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Wish I had some direct experience with that. My experience with roller furling is with my Hunter 170. Since the forestay and furling drum is disconnected to allow unstepping the mast, the furling line is disconnect, then reconnected after the mast is stepped. The trick there is to wrap the jib sheets around the furled jib three or four times so that extra line will be wrapped around the drum as the sail is unfurled.

The number of turns on the drum will be affected by the size of the rope used. If I were to trying to set that up, I would, on a calm day, hold the clew of the foresail taut while an assistant rotates the drum (or vice-versa) to furl the sail around the forestay. I would then attach the furling line to the drum. I would then wrap the foresail sheets around furled sail at least four times, then pull on those sheets to unfurl. Theoretically, wrapping the sheets around the furled sail four times will spool four revolutions of line onto the drum before the clew starts to extend from the "noodle", hopefully enough to make sure the sail can be furled adequately.

Hopefully someone who has actually done this can chime in.