I am tired of the keel knock

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
So I am tired of the keel knocking around when I am anchored or when I am motoring. I am sure it does not do much damage because I cannot find any damage when I check the keel and the keel bolt. However, the noise sounds like the boat is breaking.
As a solution I took a 5/16" fuel line and cut one end like a flower(several vertical cuts approximately 1.5" long. I pushed this end in first around the lock down bolt and pushed it in the hole making the cut pieces spread out between the trunk and the keel. The other end has just a piece of line around the bolt and then bolted in place. I also left a tab out where I could grab it to take it out. You can see this in the picture. My main concern is the uneven cushioning of the keel. However, I do not have any more keel knock.
Anyone think this will damage anything?

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
No, I don't think this will damage anything but the fuel line. ;)

You do seem to be missing the rubber and conical washer to help prevent water from slopping up through the keel pivot area, however.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
adding the rubber cant hurt anything, and if it helps with the knock, why not use it?... when I inspected my keel, I measured the distance between the trunk sides vs the width of the keel and shimmed it with large flange fender washers... I dont know how necessary this was, but I dont have any keel knock... unless the keel is in the raised position, then is will tap once in awhile in heavy wave/wake action.
I just leave it in the down locked position all the time im on the water, unless I want to beach, or have unintentionally beached (ran aground)... that is the only times it ever hangs from the cable.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I get the knock when I run on motor with the keel up just like you. I was thinking about pulling the keel bolt and putting a couple of large rubber washers on each side to fill in the space. But, I don't think that will stop the knock when under motor power with the keel up. I noticed that with the keel up I go faster with the motor and when in shallow areas I don't worry about grounding as much.

I am fixing everything up right now in hopes of making the B.E.E.R. cruise.

Next is the motor mount.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I get the knock when I run on motor with the keel up just like you. I was thinking about pulling the keel bolt and putting a couple of large rubber washers on each side to fill in the space. But, I don't think that will stop the knock when under motor power with the keel up. I noticed that with the keel up I go faster with the motor and when in shallow areas I don't worry about grounding as much.

I am fixing everything up right now in hopes of making the B.E.E.R. cruise.

Next is the motor mount.
i think its inevitable to have a knock once in awhile when the keel is up... unless its all the way up and tight against the rubber stopper.
when it is partially up and just hanging/swinging from the cable, it has the ability to to move in at least 3 different axial directions... its bound to make a knock sometimes if there is any quick movements of the hull.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I find that putting some weight and tension on the winch keeps the keel quiet. I have never had a noticeable knock problem.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Mines a water ballast but it still knocks. If you're at anchor, just retract the keel