Hutton Arco

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello, Last month I serviced my Barient 25 winches and lost a shaft and bearing over the side. "Damn Damn Damn" I said to myself "what am I going to do now?" Some internet searching revealed that only one place in the world still supports those winches. I checked the usual places for old winches. The only ones I found were very expensive. So, with low expectations I sent an email to Hutton Arco, you can get their email address at: http://www.arco-winches.com/ and hoped for the best. I received a reply very quickly, called, and ordered the parts I lost, and a good amount of spares. It took about a month, because the shaft I needed was not in stock, but they had the original drawings and were able to manufacture a new one. The parts arrived Friday. Yesterday I installed them, and the winch now works perfectly. If you need parts for your Barient or Barlow winch, give Hutton-Arco a try. No relationship except as a satisfied customer. Barry

B

Bob Fox

Arco winches

I also lost a spring overboard and tried unsuccessfully to get replacments in the USA by luck I stumbled on the Arco austrailia site. They were very prompt to reply and I was able to order a kit with new springs pawls ect. They also have all the gears and races in stock for my 20 year old plus barlow #23 2 speeds. It seems kind of a strange to me that Arco would have all the old parts from Barlow a Co now defunct for almost 20 years and not sell new winches through any of the marine supplies I contacted in the USA. There are plenly ofn sailors looking for these parts here in the usa Bob

W

Warren Milberg

It's nice to see a post

giving credit to a company that earned a pat on the back. We all should do more of that. FWIW, some years ago I had a boat that had small Barients (not sure of the size). Some pawl springs broke in one and the winch jammed.After getting the drum off (a whole other story), I tried using a Lewmar rebuild kit as I had it on hand. Much to my delight, both the pawls and the springs fit the Barient.

Status
Not open for further replies.