Hurricane Nate smashes Mac/Ven?

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
I was looking at The Weather Channel website coverage of Hurricane Nate and saw where they posted a video of a sailboat being smashed against the rocks. Looks like a Mac 26 D or S, although it could be another model I'm not as familiar with. Two windows, pop-top, Mac lines... :(

Hope it was nobody on here...stay safe!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The TV Weather Channel this morning had a 50-60 foot sailboat up on the beach, laying on it's side. The rudder is there,

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The mainsail indicates a complete lack of concern or involvement on the part of the owner, if it even has an owner. It looks abandoned to me.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
a complete lack of concern or involvement
Also apparent is weather.com's lack of proofreading video titles...hurricane "last" coast.

If only she'd washed up a little further East.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That boat appears to be the East jetty in Gulfport Harbor. Probably an oops or insurance fodder.

Actually Nate was moving so fast, not much damage. We never lost power. All of the boats in my Marina had ZERO damage.

The storms "eyes" passed over me, Diamondhead, MS at 11:30pm. On the west side of Nate, I would have enjoyed the 20 knot winds for a nice sail.:biggrin::liar:

It was a "East side" storm. As soon as Nate hit shore is was like a two propeller boat.

Port ahead Full. [ no land friction from little wind]
Starboard Back Full. [ big wind resistant ]

Nate went from North to North East within 30 minutes.
______
Note: On mainstream media wind speed reporting....
The maximum wind speeds are normally found where barometric pressures are at 850 millibars.:confused:

Normal sea level pressure = 1000 millibars. [where my house and boat are located]
So...

The media kept looking for the sustained Cat 1, 85 mph winds forecasted. Didn't know why the high winds never hito_O

The worst I heard was 60-65 mph as Nate was zipping [:thumbup:] through. [ pssst it is water surface friction drag]

Remember you can tell altitude by Barometric Pressure. Hurricane Hunters drop a buoy from 200 millibars to 1000 millibars passing through a storm.

Storm surge of an average of 6' was the issue for Nate.
Jim...

PS: Tropical Storme Cindy, which passed through here this year, had more winds.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I was implying that Nate's winds did minimal property damage. 60,000 without power, for a CAT 1:rolleyes:.
Business were opened in New Orleans at 9:00 pm. Bourbon St began rocking on Sat night [West Side]

We lost more power for Cindy.
Jim...

PS: @justsomeguy that video you posted was from Gulfport Harbor at ≈6:00pm. We get that type splashing in an common Summer time afternoon rain storm. Just saying...:)

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
In the clip of the boat at about 60 seconds it looks like there is a bowline that is attached to the wood on the rocks. Could the dock broke up and let the boat go drifting?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This an update on the 24' boat on the rock jetty.

Three people were aboard this boat in near shore Gulf Waters. They abandoned ship when the boat hit the rocks, made a big hole, and was taking on water.

The rumors have people nearby calling USCG for them. No deaths have been reported.
Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Terrible writing it the video: " High winds and dangerous surf are no match for this sailboat"? Shouldn't that be the other way around :confused:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Any backstory on the larger center cockpit boat that washed ashore? In the news clip I saw the reporter was standing in front of it reciting the written story about the owners being live-a-boards. She is saying they are in Florida trying to make their way to the site while in the background some lady is crawling around the cockpit - presumably trying to secure her belongings. The written story made no sense and maybe the "News" reporter could have turned around and asked the lady what was going on. Who knows maybe she could have stopped a looting incident. Or maybe she could have learned of the owners plight. Terrible reporting.