HUNTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
I haven’t written this before, as some of you folks are absolutely brutal to your fellow forum correspondents, but thought I’d run this up the mast anyway. We have a 2001 h260, which we purchased new as a factory ordered boat. We enjoy sailing it on Oneida Lake, in central New York State. Based on my experiences with HUNTER and more than thirty years in the manufacturing industry, I question HUNTER’s devotion to quality and sometimes wonder if their designers have ever sailed. PLEASE, don’t start on the Ferrari vs. Chevy Bel Aire kick!!! I’m talking about things that could have been corrected at NO CHARGE in the design or implementation stages or eliminated with a proper incoming inspection procedure for purchased parts. FORE-TO-AFT: 1.the anchor supplied with the boat would not fit in the anchor locker as it’s too wide. 2.the shackles on the halyards were the removable screw-pin type, with “splash” written all over them. 3.the jib sheet cams were open, so the sheet with a stopper knot would not stop until the knot hit the pulley fairlead quite a bit forward on the cabin top. 4.the top lip of the companionway threshold facing into the cabin has an almost razor sharp edge, a real shin scraper. 5.the faucet/pumps are a joke, well covered in this forum (I’ve been traveling to Taiwan for almost 26 years on business and know the Taiwanese are capable of much better than what I’ve seen from HUNTER). Even as HUNTER knows of the problem, they obviously haven’t bothered doing a QC check of their inventory, as some of the replacements I’ve received were N/G. 6.the dining table was designed by ?????????? 7.water from wind-driven rain drips into the cabin from the companionway sliding hatch. 8.when it’s raining, there is absolutely no ventilation in the cabin, as the ports open inward. 9.under light air conditions, bumped about by power boats wakes, the mainsheet cam clatters about its fastener on the cockpit floor, instead of remaining upright. 10.water from moderate rainfall finds its way into the non self-draining cockpit storage compartments. 11.the rudder “down haul system” is another well documented joke. 12.the rudder blade quality is, well, ……………… I think I could go on, but I really haven’t tried to keep a score sheet and am just doing this off the top of my head. HUNTER does not produce a perfect boat, but I really believe they could get a whole lot closer for very little $$$ (Yes, I would probably find fault with the Ferrari also!!!). Paul s/v The Lord Nelson

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
WHEW!!!

Fred: The list evolved with the experience of sailing the boat. If I had been given the list before signing on the dotted line, I would not have bought it. As with a new car, you normally don’t have a list of problems until you’ve driven the car for some time. Please believe me, the intent of the posting was purely constructive criticism. Paul

E

Ed Childres

Good points

Paul, I agree with your points and could also add to the list. I had one page of type written issues pre delivery and another page at ten months. I came for a well used MacGregor that had more holes and "improvements" from the previous owners than I wanted to deal with. So I decided to buy a brand new from the factory boat. It was either a Catilna 250 or the Hunter 260. In my market I paid more for the Hunter and still think that I got my dollars worth. Mostly in design features. My dealer made most of the quality control issues go away post delivery to California but pre delivery to me. I continue (14 months in my possesion) to replace and modify the boat to make some of Hunter's poor quality components, assembly and design flaws workable. The improvements will probably go on for life, I enjoy making things better. Thinking about this while writting the statements above, two things stand out as my suspected reasons for being satisfied with Hunter. My dealer understood my concerns and addressed them to the point where I consider him "Hunter". Not the Corporation in Florida. Also I have settled in my mind that this was not a custom boat and I didn't pay $100,000 or more for it. I am not a flag waving Hunter groupie but for the money I have into it I don't see any better boat or manufacturer out there.

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Generally not brutal...

to actual hunter owners or even valid potential owners. A lot of the bashers on here don't even claim to own a Hunter, and say they wouldn't have one - which just amazes me. Why waste their time here? Unless of couse, they are a Catalina, Beneteau, etc., dealer. You never know who's behind these posts. Your points seems valid. My parents had similar issues with a new motorhome. A list of stupid things - hot water not connected, missing screws on hinges. We raised cane, letters, etc., and you should too. Remember the Ford Pinto....

J

John

Disagree

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you. Yes I had problems with my brand new Hunter 356 when it was delivered in 2002. The list of issues appalled me. From every port leaking to cockpit hatches that would not open or close, along with a myriad of other things. At the time, I was disgusted and I truly thought I had made a mistake buying a Hunter. The people at Hunter were superb. Two factory people came and worked 3 very long days to remedy things on my boat. During their time there they even fixed things I had not complained about, but they did not meet their standards. I could not be happier with Hunter and would buy another one tomorrow. I can tell you that any manufacturer can make a mistake, because they are truly dependent on the people that work for them. However, what separates the good manufacturers from the bad, is acknowledging mistakes and responding to them accordingly Hunter gets my vote. By the way, let me point out I have been a Vice President of Quality for the last 22 years and I consider myself an expert on this subject

J

Jim

Complaints

I would not buy a sailboat less than fifteen years old. Let other sailors work the kinks out of 'em or run 'em into the ground. When you buy a Ferrari, you get a certificate that says you bought an authentic Ferrari. That is the extent of your insurance. Good Luck, Jim

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Thats a Good Post Paul

Sticking to your topic, I've had the same questions. When one sees the little nickle-dime shortcuts it makes me wonder about the real important things on my boat (for reference - '88 HL-35). Going over your list: Item #1 - Why design a small chain locker? It doesn't make sense. And there is no way, realistically, to change it in the after-market world. I'd also like to add that some provision should have been made for the installation of a windlass that would also provide deck reinforcemnt, the proper fall (for safety reasons to keep pinkies from being squished) for chain and rode, and a route to run the electrical cables. Additional cost would be nothing except for the deck reinforcement. Item #2: Shackles with captive pins - max about $5 ea. x 2 (main + jib) = $10 Item #7: Rain dripping down companion way hatch - the flat sliding hatch probably could have been sloped or ? poor design. We've got the same problem. And I think your other points are well taken but just don't want to expand on them. Here are a few of mine: 1. Skimping on the insulation for the ice box - in some places only a 1/4" thick! Hunter advertises that it's an ice box and the consumer has a right to expect it is insulated at least as well as a styrofoam Wal Mart ice chest. Boy, are we fools. They just put on enough foam so you can't see the fiberglass and call it good. 2. Lack of conduits or routing to run wires and cables. Actually this in many cases wouldn't cost a penney and could have been handled with just a slight change in the liner mold. 3. Epoxy coating holes through the hull and deck to prevent water intrusion into the core. Material cost nearly nothing, labor a bit more but wouldn't take that long if properly scheduled. 4. Coating stainless fasteners that go into aluminum - material cost nearly nothing, and again, labor could be minimial if the shop was properly set up. Coating fasteners with anti-sieze would make a huge deal for maintenance later on. 5. No ventilation - I've got the same concern. I've thought about coming up with some fiberglass dorade design that would match existing but haven't got around to it. Anyway, I agree with your premise that for a couple bucks more they could have done a much better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.