Hunter L37.5 - autopilot!

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter Legend 37.5 California
Hi there,
I've searched the history and saw multiple topics on this question, but years have gone and equipment has changed.

I'm interested in getting a ram type of drive installed. I read that other people have done a ram drive install in the port lazarette, with the rod of the drive poking out thru a cut in the wall, protected by a rubber boot. Also I'm considering installing the Simrad/B&G NAC-3 autopilot core pack along with a B&G T2 ram drive.

Have you folks done this? Do you know/think the B&G T2 drive fits in there?

I saw that Ben Solomon put a CPT pilot wheel unit on his. It looks like a less invasive install, but I'd like to get more B&G products installed in the end and have the autopilot work with the rest of it. In particular I'd like the autopilot to be able to hold an apparent wind angle, which the CPT pilot doesn't do as far as I can tell.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just curious, why hold apparent wind angle? Do you use your auto pilot for other sailing rather than getting to a distant point? For working the deck in short time increments, steering by course should accomplish that well enough. I've spent most of my cruising sailing with a steering vane, which does exactly that. Just, I always thought it was important to attend to the actual heading when using one or you risk losing your bearings.
I'm not trying to be critical. Just helping you get the most out of your money and your post.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 28, 2019
Hunter 37.5 Kemah
I am working on this very install as well. I am using the garmin components and have already purchased the ram. I was planning on a similar install as the 38 (poking through the port aft lazarette) I am planning on building a shelf to hold the unit. My only concern at this point is the travel distance to get a full 60 degrees of swing on the quadrant. if you want to share some thoughts... I would be up for a conversation....