Hunter 49/50 Waeco CB-40 Freezer

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
One of the 2 built in freezers has stopped cooling after winter lay up. Have tried turning thermostat on & off. Compressor/fan is running under unit when I turn on thermostat, so it appears electrical connection OK. Anyone have any info on removal and/or repair? New unit around $960.00.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Some possibilities. Since owning our boat three things have occurred with the original AB R-12 refrigeration:

1. Freezer would not cool when we took possession in 2002. Marina tech charged the system and it has worked fine ever since. It's on 24/7.
2. Fridge compressor was trying to start when I came aboard one time, maybe 2003. Fan would come on, and I could hear the compressor trying to start. Called AB with the symptoms. Turned out to be a dead Control Module. Replaced unit and the system worked fine for several years until the compressor died four years ago.
3. Compressor died in 2014, so ordered a new system (compressor, condenser, evaporator) from Defender. Replaced unit myself with basic tools. Plug and play.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Some possibilities. Since owning our boat three things have occurred with the original AB R-12 refrigeration:

1. Freezer would not cool when we took possession in 2002. Marina tech charged the system and it has worked fine ever since. It's on 24/7.
2. Fridge compressor was trying to start when I came aboard one time, maybe 2003. Fan would come on, and I could hear the compressor trying to start. Called AB with the symptoms. Turned out to be a dead Control Module. Replaced unit and the system worked fine for several years until the compressor died four years ago.
3. Compressor died in 2014, so ordered a new system (compressor, condenser, evaporator) from Defender. Replaced unit myself with basic tools. Plug and play.
I suspect coolant leak.
Get a fridge guy in with the right tools.