Hunter 45 world cruiser or coastal cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2005
- - Portland OR
Am looking at purchasing a used sailboat 42-47 ft in a few years to head south from Oregon and slowly go around the world. I have a Hunter 34 now and am looking at a lot of different boats. Does anyone have an opinion on a Hunter 45 1986-1988 as far as sea worthiness? Budget is 100k-150k w 30-50k for outfitting after the purchase. Thanks, all opinions are helpful. Mike

Apr 21, 2005
- - Portland OR
Thanks for the info

Hi John , thanks for the info. I will look into these issues carefully when selecting my boat. How did you guys place in the race. Thanks, Mike

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
The 45

I'd tell you to check the archives about this topic a month ago but I see it was deleted. My guess is it got nasty in there. I didn't get to see the end of it. This topic does bring it out in people. Good traits: 1) ok in water tankage 2) lots of sail for displacement so it will go fast in light wind. 3) lots of room (of course with this size) Things you will want to look into: 1) fairly small fuel tank (will want solar and/or wind gen). 2) I believe these chain plates will need an upgrade. 3) Unprotected rudder and prop...just make sure the rudder is strong and you have a backup plan if it fails. 4) cockpit a little large...will want to upgrade the drainage. 5) if it doesn't have a below deck auto-pilot, you will need one. 6) Mostlikely all hatches will need to be replace with stronger ones (blue water hatches). Personally, my advice is if your looking to sail around the world and you don't have the boat yet, look into something that has the following (which of course elimiates hunters...they all have fin or wing keels.): 1) over a hundred gallons for fuel and water (I prefer over 200) 2) a modified keel that protects the rudder. These will hold a straight course better but not be like a full keel. It's also a good feeling knowing your rudder is protected. 3) Very strong chain plates 4) lots of sail area 5) lots of bolted down storage space. Bolted down so if/when you do roll, things will not fall out and bust a hatch. 6) Size of cockpit vrs drainage. In otherwords...many boats have open cockpits and they drain very well but many feel they are still dangerous. Traditional cruising boats have small cockpits and two good sized drains. You will get pooped on so this is important. Personally I like the large open cockpit. Remember...when you start talking about crossing an ocean, any help is usually at least a day or two away depending on your location and what's around you and the waves get real big in a blow out there and that water weights a lot. Not only that, the boat will rock from side to side and that puts a lot of strain...everything from the rigging down to the chain plates to the deck.

R

Rod

H 45

Well,,,,,,, I have a 1987 hull and wouldn't think about giving it up. A good friend of mine was cruising for 3 yrs on his 40'Irwin in the southern seas. Running into a 45' Hunter, they said it preformed really good down there. We race mine on Lake Michigan and it has preformed remarkable well. 35 knots of wind in the spinnaker boat speed 18. I think it was in 1985 Hunter raced a 45 in the ocean crossing from England to the US single handed keeping up with ultra 60’s at that time. I have never heard of any problems with rudder on a 45, but anything is possible. The biggest problem up here in Michigan is if there is any moisture in the rudder and you freeze it there’s a good chance that you will delaminate it. But that can happen on any foamed cored rudder or even fiberglass if moisture gets between layers. I have increased my holding tanks to 28 gallons changed the roller furling, main sheet & traveler system, have jack stays for the main and sail it single handed “can’t tell my wife that oh”. Is it a great ocean going boat like a valiant or others like it no? But it a very strong sea going boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.