Hunter 430, how do I run a seatalk cable between pedistal and instruments in the arch? Also to the nav station?

Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
I am a new 430 owner. I want to network the older Raymarine instruments in the arch with my new Raymarine Axiom 9 on the pedistal. It looks like the wires to the pedistal go into a black hole below the autopilot drive. I have not found the wire runs and hope that someone can clue me in as to where they are so I can run the new seatalk cables.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a navigation display at the navigation station that communicates with the navigation display at the helm? Reason I ask is that is the way my electronics are configured. I recently connected AIS from my vhf radio at the navigation station to the navigation display at the navigation station and that information was displayed on the helm display.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
Exactly. Old Seatalk 1 instruments un the arch, New axiom 9 at the helm, waas vhf and 2nd mfd at the chart table. I don't see cable runs to the helm. They seem to dissappear.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What the Raymarine Technician did, for my H430, was bring the junction of all the ST1 to a new STng "devise" installed in the pedestal.
The "Device" was called a "bridge".

I would have to looked the official name.

But once tied into the network Back Bone, STng converts the "language" to make all Seatalk compatible.

This may sound a bit confusing, but the easy way is to Chat with Raymarine.
Jim...

Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
Thanks, I understand the technology I just don't know where the cable runs are that go to the helm. I found the wires from the arch to the nav station.

Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
Poor choice of words, I mean the chart table. When the wires go down below the deck under the auto pilot drive, where do they go? I need to run a seatalk cable between the mfd at the helm to the instruments in the arch

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is a picture of my pedestal and my Raymarine MFD is in the same spot as your Axiom.
I still suggest viewing "Raymarine Tech" on their website. A post there will get your answer.

SeaTalkC.jpg

Once connected to the back bone, all types of languages protocols are translated.
Thus SeaTALK.;)

I understand you are talking about the black Cables by the AP.
Jim...

Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
This helps thanks. I have the same seatalk bridge as you. I don't have the nice shelf you have to mount it on. I can fabricate something like it. My question now is how do you run the black cable? I have not figured out where it goes to reach the arch. Did you have to cut any holes? I see panels in the master ceiling under the pedestal, but there is nothing behind them.

Nov 16, 2019
irwin citation key largo
Also I think the axion goes to one of the white connectors, the yellow cable will go to the old instruments. The blue is to extent the network to another bridge. I may need to put another bridge in the arch if the yellow cable is not long enough

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My question now is how do you run the black cable?
OEM on my 1998 H430 and for the AP only.:biggrin:

You can continue to bridge them, but my Arch Instruments are in that pictured bridge.

If i recall, the wrapped tape is the fuse and new power to my new MFD.

One switch in the DC Breaker panel, turns all old Arch instruments plus new MFD.
--------
I have the same seatalk bridge as you
Then if your Arch Instruments showed on the old pedestal display, then just tie in the Axiom and/or with its needed adapter. [that I do not know]
Jim...

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
On my '07 H38 the SeaTalk cable for the ST60 instruments on the pod and the ethernet/SeaTalkng cables run down the inside of the pedestal, across the ceiling of the aft cabin behind a couple of panels, to the port side. There they run behind the lower edge of the soft overhead material behind the AC/DC MDP's where a SeaTalk connector block is mounted, and where the two instruments mounted over the companionway hatch also connect, and thence to the nav station where they enter in the forward port corner of the desk, up the LHS steel grab rail leg, and finally to the back of the second chartplotter.

I added an additional SeaTalk connector block (1st was "full) which gave me an additional port to connect to the converter/bridge that JamesG161 shows. That allowed me to connect an NMEA2000 devicenet cable, which powers my Raspberry Pi /OpenCPN/ Plex video player via a PiCAN hat. OpenCPN now gets all the SeaTalk data (still can't pick up the RADAR on SeaTalkng need to fiddle some more). It will eventually replace the chartplotter there.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
That should work on SeaTalk already. What brand is your chart plotter? That may be the issue.
Jim...
No, RADAR data is not carried on SeaTalk or SeaTalkhs(NMEA2000). Only SeaTalkng carries RADAR data. Its too high a bandwidth for the other two.

I'm not trying to troubleshoot anything here James, I know how it works and what is wrong. I was simply commenting on my implementation for the OP.

Raymarine suggests two methods. One is point to point with a chartplotter and then optionally point to point from that chartplotter to another chartplotter, effectively using the 1st chartplotter as a repeater. This is why the chartplotters all have two SeaTalkhs ports. This is ok for simple 1 or 2 plotter installs with one major issue. If the intermediate chartplotter is not on/fails then RADAR data cannot be sent to the 2nd plotter. In my case the RADAR comes to the plotter at the nav station and thence to the help. So, a failure of the nav station prevents me getting RADAR where I need it most, at the helm. Additionally this plotter-as-a-repeater method prevents sharing the data with other devices such as, in my case, OpenCPN on a Pi.

The second method recommended by Raymarine is to use their expensive SeaTalkng hub. Well SeaTalkng is basically ethernet cat 5 with special plugs. In fact, in the 1st method there's a component (can't remember what RM calls it) that swaps the polarity of a couple of lines, effectively making what is in ethernet terms a "cross over cable". I need to figure out where it is and remove it, make up a new cross over patch cord, or something similar, and then I'll be able to connect my RADAR, both chartplotters, and my Pi to 12v switch and I'm good to go. I may need to prevent one of the chartplotters acting as a DHCP server, unsure of that yet.

fwiw I have 2xRM C90W

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
On a related note, I plan on adding an NMEA2000 external GPS such as this one, and an NMEW2000 AIS transceiver.

Has anyone done that? Any tips, gotchas etc? It appears the C90W can consume external GPS and AIS data, but its not entirely clear so if anyone has done it I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Axioms have wifi and blue tooth. if your nav station mfd is connected up to everything in nmea or seatalkng then connect to him by wifi. create a hotspot for example. no wires to pass just the power supply.

• Helpful