Hunter 410 clutch mounting

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
Anyone if 410 the clutch mounting location has an aluminum backing plate mounted in? I need to add one and there doesnt appear to access to the bottom to through bolt.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you do not see a backing plate the clutch bolts might be screwed into an embedded aluminum plate encapsulated in the fiberglass.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you do not see a backing plate the clutch bolts might be screwed into an embedded aluminum plate encapsulated in the fiberglass.
Aye, and therein lies the problem. He doesn't have an aluminum backing plate in the FG and he needs one as he cannot access the underside of the rope clutch.

Sorry, can't offer much hope without major surgery to install a backing plate from the underside.

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
The question is whether there is an alum backing plate molded into the fiberglass. Going to install the new next to the old and that section is raised, so does that mean there is a plate molded in there.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The question is whether there is an alum backing plate molded into the fiberglass. Going to install the new next to the old and that section is raised, so does that mean there is a plate molded in there.
I mounted an addition clutch several years ago and don't remember how I did it. I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can provide some advice.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Going to install the new next to the old and that section is raised, so does that mean there is a plate molded in there.
You're a little loose with your pronouns, but I'm assuming you mean the section of deck where the old clutch is mounted is raised. Very doubtful if you'll find an aluminum plate anywhere in the the non-raised section.

You can check for the presence of an aluminum backing plate using one of the later model stud finders which has a deep scan up to 1-1/2". A little sensitive on non-skid but just takes a little time. Found this out a few years ago while looking for an aluminum plate in my hull.

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
I mounted an addition clutch several years ago and don't remember how I did it. I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can provide some advice.
Thanks. I am thinking I may as well drill a hole and see what comes out. I am thinking there must be a molded in backing plate as it is right above where the gallery bulkhead is

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
My 99 410 has embedded aluminum under the clutches, enough to add 2 more clutches to each side (I used garhauer)
I believe the bolts where 1/4 20, get the right good quality drill and tap, make sure the tap is long enough, its kind of deep.
In order to put 5 on each side the originals where recentered. For a fourth one only there should be the obvious spot.
It was pretty easy considering other some other boat jobs.

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
My 99 410 has embedded aluminum under the clutches, enough to add 2 more clutches to each side (I used garhauer)
I believe the bolts where 1/4 20, get the right good quality drill and tap, make sure the tap is long enough, its kind of deep.
In order to put 5 on each side the originals where recentered. For a fourth one only there should be the obvious spot.
It was pretty easy considering other some other boat jobs.
how far below the raised fiberglass was the alum plate as I drilled through the fiberglass and it went into a void

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
For your own piece of mind remove 1 of the bolts from the factory clutch, see how long it is (think they're 3") you'll want to match them, then you might be able to tell about how far down before it threads. I'm sure it's a bit over an inch. I needed a taping shank that was longer than others that size because it was so deep. I also added more blocks on the deck organizer and double sheet turning blocks. All areas had metal underneath.
Yea, I did worry about going through the ceiling, but when you see the long current bolts you have you'll feel better.