Hunter 41 - 41DS air conditioning install

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
I am taking up the charge to install air conditioning in our 2006 41DS.

The boat was built with an A/C prep package which included the three breakers, 120v wiring runs to each unit's locations plus the relay wire and drain lines. The boat has the flex air ducts run in and behind the various furnishings and in the head liner as well on the port and starboard sides.

I need to install the two Dometic units 16k and 10k and add the round plastic supply A/C vents in the headliner ducts.

The question is about the headliner and other supply vents. (The two heads already have the small supply vents installed in cabinets.

I am not sure how the vents get installed elsewhere and I don't want to tear apart the headliner. I also don't know where the supply vents are supposed to be located in the aft and front cabins? Any photos our there? (I have only seen what I can from for-sale photos of other boats on Yachtworld)

Thanks.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Our 2005 H38 came with an an airco unit installed next to the mast. All cabling and ducting for the second smaller unit was installed but no unit was installed. The ducting in the headliner is 3 outlets in the cabin, one on port slightly ahead on the nav station, 2 on starboard, one above the table, another one above the galley. For the V berths the outlet is in the bulkhead about 6 ft from the floor. For the owners cabin only one ducting outlet in the back of the SB locker.
Since we are the 2nd owners we don’t know for sure but I guess the dealer cut corners to increase margin.
Picture is of the ceiling outlet above the table.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2017
That's the vent I need. I have no outlets but I do have ducts above the headliner, I can feel the ducts. I found black vents on Amazon but not cream colored ones. I need 15 of them. I'm going to pull down some headliner this weekend to see what kind of duct is behind it. Maybe plastic or wood?

Thanks.

Jul 6, 2017
Looks like it might be possible to drill 3" diameter holes directly through the headliner and through the plastic duct. The duct is plastic wrapped with a thin layer of insulation and it is right up against the headliner. My rear aft cabin duct has come loose and fallen onto the headliner so I need to make another support for it.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Can anyone with 41 tell me where your thermostats are located.
Hi Tim:
Our 44DS is similar. The aft stateroom control is on the aft facing bulkhead that forms the clothing locker. In the saloon, the control is on the starboard side just forward of the radio/charger panel, just below a duct face plate. The panel pops out. Both locations are easy to access.
Rick

Jul 6, 2017
Hi Tim:
Our 44DS is similar. The aft stateroom control is on the aft facing bulkhead that forms the clothing locker. In the saloon, the control is on the starboard side just forward of the radio/charger panel, just below a duct face plate. The panel pops out. Both locations are easy to access.
Rick
Thanks. Do you also know where Hunter installed the air conditioning relay box on your boat?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have 2004 41, and the main thermostat is located in the main saloon right forward of the chart table on the starboard wall with the radio etc. Not a good location as it checks the temp of the outside wall so, in my opinion I would mount it else where so that it reads correctly and keeps you more comfortable. The rear one is mounted in the night stand next to the bed.
Again not a smart spot.......

The relays are under the settee next to the water heater.

IMG_3715.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017
I have 2004 41, and the main thermostat is located in the main saloon right forward of the chart table on the starboard wall with the radio etc. Not a good location as it checks the temp of the outside wall so, in my opinion I would mount it else where so that it reads correctly and keeps you more comfortable. The rear one is mounted in the night stand next to the bed.

View attachment 181380
Really good point. Once the equipment arrives I will look at how it senses temperature. Some systems measure temperature at the thermostat and some have a sensor located just before the coil ( where it should measure temperature). I have ordered Webasto equipment.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Sorry but the above messages are mentioning the location of the DISPLAY of the thermostat temperature. The thermostat element that is SENSING the temperature is (on my installation) directly in the airstream being sucked into the AC unit for cooling, so under the seating at the table. It is like in a fridge a small bulb at the end of a long thin metallic tube.

Jul 6, 2017

View attachment 181380
I found the wire bundle under the settee like you said. The relay showed up in the mail yesterday. I installed the relay behind the inverter tonight. All the wiring was there already. AC units and pump should be here in a week.

Jul 6, 2017
OK. Stupid question time.

I thought I had 2 30amp shore power receptacles. Turns out one of them is a TV phone jack. My other H36 boat had 2 receptacles and I assumed I did on this boat until I opened the other one tonight.

When installed with 2 ac units I'm thinking I will have to have the second shore power plug installed. The panel is a split buss panel with a parallel and generator breaker. No generator.

However, the boat also has a xantrex 2,000 watt inverter with a power sharing feature.

Does the power sharing inverter off load the 30 amp shore power when needed to prevent the breaker from triping? And should I install another shore power receptacle and isolation transformer?

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I think you should put this question to Hunter (Marine/Marlow). If it was me I would install a second power receptacle and wire a corresponding line to the second AC. Look at Smartplug receptacles, they are so much better then the standard yellow plugs.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I own a 2007 41DS which is in contract to be sold. I have run both A/C units on one 30 amp power cord, but you have to be carful of other loads on the the system. I always turn the battery charger output to it's lowest setting, otherwise the breaker will trip. BTW, I think my 41 only has a 12K in the main salon. Another possible way around the expense of the second power cord would be to install "hard start kits" to both a/c units. These inexpensive devices will lessen the high starting amps that the compressors require when they start, which is when the breaker will trip. Also prolongs the life of the compressor.

Jul 6, 2017
The AC install went well. We were able to install 19 vents into the factory ducts in every space. We used a template to cut through to the liner and a 3" hole saw to cut the plastic duct. I was able to find the factory MSI vents from Flagship Marine. The new vents slipped into the 3" holes and the covers snap on.

We went with Webasto equipment. Installed two units, relay, pump and accessories. It appears to run quieter than the Dometic AC I had on my last boat.
20200711_140908_resized.jpg20200711_141711_resized.jpg