Hunter 34 rudder pulleys

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
I was under the binnacle this past weekend replacing a broken throttle cable. While inspecting before close up, I noticed a lot of play in the pulley (port side) which turns the rudder cables 90 degrees, directing them back to the rudder quadrant. It would appear that the pulley needs a new bushing. However, even with all this slop, the alignment is very poor. It seems that the actual bracket for the pulley should be tilted to be properly adjusted, but there is no such adjustment. Have others found similar alignment issues, and if so, any way to correct? Or just leave it be?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I'll show you mine.. I've noticed no chafing on the wire rope but I do lube it every year . The pulley axle is kinda sloppy too but not too bad..
P7100343.JPG

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks for the picture. It appears the pulley alignment is about 10 - 15 degrees off for the cable exit. This is similar to mine. If I was to replace the pulley bushing, it would make the problem worse. So, I guess we just go with it, lube and monitor for wear.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It looks like the angle of the pulleys can be adjusted - no? Could be maxed out.

Oct 10, 2020
The adjustment on mine is maxed out, and it can only be adjusted on one plane. The play in the pulley on it's shaft actually helps it align slightly better.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Same here, maxed out. If I'd noticed a problem with wear on the wire rope, I'd have elongated the adjustment bolt hole to get it closer..

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Mine somehow looks pretty well aligned. I've never touched it from original.

20160521_172332.jpg