Hunter 34 - Easiest way to route wiring from starboard to port

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I am looking to run wiring from the head to the DC panel. I've attempted to snake a feed through the cabin light holes across the ceiling channel that the mast runs through but get stopped at the mast. PO ran speaker wire through that path I believe. Any suggestions?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Try a stiff wire fish, or try a piece of coated lifeline as a messenger line.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Not alot of options... I removed the AC plug on the port side to help fish wiring though to the port sink... then down to the bulkead support to the middle where the mast wiring come out. Then you can run up through the port settee... or continue along the bulkead support...

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Use the speaker wire as a fish to pull new wire and a fishing wire through. then pull the speaker wire back through. I'm not sure that you can pull wires through the beam at all but if there is already speaker wire there then the PO must have been successful.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
The only way I know of is thru the upper bulkhead around the compression post. The upper bulkheads are hollow, however fishing wires around the compression post area is a real pain in the ass. When Hunter built our h34 I had the factory place messenger lines in all the bulkhead to run future wires. They worked great, but 35 years later they have dry rotted and snapped then spend hours with a stiff thin cable to run new ones.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was able to successfully fish a messenger line through the top beam before I replaced the wood with a chunk of aluminum. I don't think I could go there today.. I used a piece of old coated lifeline to go from the port side eyeball light hole over to the stbd side eyeball light hole.. I left a good messenger there after running the speaker wire.. without the messenger, it would be tough getting around the mast support block. if your mast support base/compression post have been repaired, it might be much easier to go a different route, through one of the bottom beams either forward or aft of the settee. I have run messengers from the panel, aft to the lazarette through the wire run, and forward to the eyeball socket ..

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Go Low! Run the wire through the shower sump. There is a wire chase from the mast base to port side settee. From there it is pretty easy to get to the panel. The wire chase over the headliner is difficult to use. I actually had to cut the end off a fish tape in that channel!

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
Fast Ed's option is genius. Wish I would have done that before spending all that time with my hand in those darn reading light holes trying to fish line here and there.

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
Well, I did go low but could not get through the sump chase either. I wound up running the wire along the shower wall and just in front of the bulkhead. I ran it through a white wire chase that I secured with screw down zip ties. It's virtually invisible to anyone that doesn't know it's there. The toilet works beautifully. Just yesterday installed a float switch that hooks directly to the control module of the toilet and advises at 90% full. Sure beats that old nasty pump head!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
There is also a through point where the water lines run from the port water tank to the starboard side under the forward dinette settee. -Jon