Hunter 34 crack behind stove

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Well I found this little gem while cleaning and doing other refit related items... What does everyone make of this? I found it behind the stove and oven area when I removed them to take them home for cleaning. I have sounded the hull with a plastic hammer in the same area on the outside and all sounds normal and there does not appear to be impact damage, but the boat was also painted topsides by the previous owner, so for all I know he sanded and faired external cracks painted it and didn't actually repair any damage.

Would you guys do anything to affect repairs, sail it and monitor it, or leave it alone? Is this just the inner liner that is cracking, or possibly just gelcoat cracking from oil canning? Obviously someone has painted resin or epoxy over the horizontal crack at some point, but no idea who and when that was. I'm at least the third owner of this boat. On the hard right now so its the best time for repairs if I'm going to do them. If I should repair, how should I go about it, just grind/sand back until no more delam, feather it in, and epoxy/biaxial cloth along the cracked area in a 12:1 ratio?

IMG_20200503_153557.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don’t think that there is any liner where the yellowish stuff is. That is the inside of the hull. I would definitely plan to repair that one by grinding and re-glassing. The other two bear more investigation, but the one perpendicular to the yellowish one will probably require repair as well. Good luck with it and do let us know what ya find.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I don’t think that there is any liner where the yellowish stuff is. That is the inside of the hull. I would definitely plan to repair that one by grinding and re-glassing. The other two bear more investigation, but the one perpendicular to the yellowish one will probably require repair as well. Good luck with it and do let us know what ya find.
That's what I was afraid of... bleh. I need to stop looking at things and I'll find less to do!

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Does anyone possibly know how thick the glass would be on the hull sides? I'd prefer not to grind through it making this repair if that is what I have to do, I'd rather be able to put a larger square piece of glass over that whole area, but it needs to be built up right and tapered correctly or its not going to have the strength

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
looks like hull flex from improper strap haul out or jack stand placement.
A friend had a similar looking stress crack on his h31 basically the same boat but smaller.

There is no hull liner in that location. I believe the hull in that spot is about 3/4 inch. Above that spot approximatly 6 feet back inside the starboard locker is the bildge discharge thru hull fitting. I am almost positive that the entire hull thickness is the same in both locations. If you remove the hose off the fitting you can measure the inside of the fitting less the flanges you can get a good idea of the hull thickness

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
looks like hull flex from improper strap haul out or jack stand placement.
A friend had a similar looking stress crack on his h31 basically the same boat but smaller.

There is no hull liner in that location. I believe the hull in that spot is about 3/4 inch. Above that spot approximatly 6 feet back inside the starboard locker is the bildge discharge thru hull fitting. I am almost positive that the entire hull thickness is the same in both locations. If you remove the hose off the fitting you can measure the inside of the fitting less the flanges you can get a good idea of the hull thickness
Thats the other feedback I've gotten. I've not been able to dig into the crack too much yet with tools to see if its actual glass cracking or all thick gelcoat. Thats a great point that it should be same thickness as the hull further back. I have a thru hull for bilge and for my A/C discharge along that same horizontal point. It's at least 1/2" - 3/4". I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks Robbie. Saturday I'll peel it back gently with a orbital sander to see whats what. I've sounded the hull before from the outside and I'm fairly certain there is no delamination at least.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The stuff on the left side of the picture looks to be in the liner.. .. I think you are heading the right way, investigate gently and reglass from the inside..

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The H-34 has a structural skeleton and a very thin hull. 1/4" in some areas. That has obviously been repaired but I would be wary of it. Maybe a reinforcement patch on the inside would be in order. Something pretty big like 24" x 24" to spread it out.

• Helpful

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
hat has obviously been repaired but I would be wary of it. Maybe a reinforcement patch on the inside would be in order. Something pretty big like 24" x 24" to spread it out.
Thats my thinking if I patch it, it will be larger