• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Hunter 33 Reefing line boom internals

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
The PO never had a reefing line running through the boom. I'd like run a line through and I'd like to know what I'm up against.

First of all, is it possible to run a reefing line without an existing line and without opening the boom ends?

Next, if I open the ends what should I expect? Should I expect it to "explode" and pieces go flying everywhere?

Originally, what size lines were ran through the boom for the reefing line and the outhaul?

Thanks for the help!

-Rick

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Lots of info in these recent threads:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Mine has two reefing lines and an outhaul line. Outhaul has some blocks inside to provide purchase. Forget the details. When I replaced them I took the boom off and removed the ends. Should be doable on yours. Be careful not to oversize the lines. I think mine are 1/4" or 5/16". 3/8" is too big for the sheaves. Take care to not cross the lines in the boom. Kenyon still has the parts for the ends. Rig rite sells these. Suggest using different colors for the control lines. I have labels "First" and "Second" on the respective sides of the boom for the reef lines which helps. I think you need to do this with the boom off and the ends removed.

Edit: I believe there is one block with a becket on the outhaul to provide two to one purchase.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
Thanks Roy! That makes sense about the two reefing lines. Mine is missing both.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
You're best off pulling off at least one end, probably the forward end because the internal blocks for the outhaul are most likely shot . I drilled out my rivets, tapped threads and used stainless bolts in place of the rivets . I prefer instant access so I always replace rivets with threaded fasteners when I can. 5/16 sounds about right . While I was there I set the outhaul up to come back to the cockpit. Also the reefing lines. Very convenient and easy to use. I could take a reef in a couple of minutes from the cockpit, never venturing up on deck for that .

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
If the reef line are "missing", the internal blocks probably are too.
If so, you'll need to rebuilt the system from scratch.

Have you found any errant blocks stored away somewhere?