Hunter 27 -- should the wheel be bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

After crewing for several races, I recently started racing my own boat. Of course, I'm hooked, and have recently purchased a new main to replace the 20 year old original on my 1980 Hunter 27. However, in my third race the wind was blowing 20 to 30 knots from a front passing through, and the wheel felt useless! Thinking it was my poor steering, I had a seasoned vet on the boat take a try at it and he said that the wheel is simply too small in that situation. I talked it over, and several have suggested replacing the wheel that came with the boat for a much larger diameter wheel, not only for control but also so I can lean over on the high side while helmsman and see the tell-tales on the jib. Anyone got any advice or experience on replacing their wheel? E-mail at jimils18r@msn.com

T

Tom Ledwin

Bigger Wheel

I have an 1982 27, replaced the wheel years ago with a 30 inch wheel, this was a great improvement in control and comfort. I can steer the boat sitting on the cockpit coaming if I want. Keep in mind this will not correct problems with weatherhelm.

M

Mike Cummings

Wheel

I had a Hunter 27 two years ago and had replaced the tiller with a wheel. The trick was not the wheel size but the quadrant size around your rudder post. I used the next size up (basically same price up) and never had any problems, it was like steering with one finger. Other people who have sailed the boat said the same thing. Use your money and install a bigger quadrant.

R

rick crockett

replace the wheel

i have a hunter 28.5, felt the same way, replaced the wheel with a 42" wheel. it was one of the best things i did to improve the boat, go for it!!!

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Replacing tiller with a wheel

My arthritis had me me seriously considering a wheel and I thought another boat as I always assumed the ('78) 27's cockpit to be far too small! Where would I start, and is this a job for a yard? Can you give me a rundown of how you changed to wheel, costs, etc.? Much obliged... gecco@gte.net

Status
Not open for further replies.