Hunter 260 water ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roxie6

Glenn,
Sorry, novice here. I've started to sail on inland waters and have been out in 35 mph gusts with an H260, great time and boat. I haven't been able to find a straight direct answer to some concerns. Is it likely that a H260 can suffer a knock down with a full or reefed main with a gust of 30 mph max. and if so could it turtle, or will it always self right itself. Also does the H260 have positive floatation, since I don't see foam etc. inside.

PS. Why would the H260 have been designed with a 8"11" beam and touted as easily trailerable when all highways in N.America have a maximum vehicle width of 8'6" max. unless a special permit is aquiried. Just makes it more difficult to trailer legally.
... just some stress related thoughts.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Roxie6,

The 260, like all keelboats can invert. There is a point on the stability curve where the boat is more stable upside down. I did not design the 260 but I would take an experienced guess that would be around 105 degrees. Less if you have people hanging on to the windward lifeline. That is why the boat is rated CE catagory C. To get the boat over that far it would take a largish wave or other external influence. The wind alone will not roll the boat over unless the wind was so strong (over 30 knots) that the windage of the hull has enough wind pressure on it to drive it past the limit of positive stability. It would take lot. Prudent seamanship will minimize the risk. I don't know if the boat has flotation as I didn't design it. In most all states the permit is inexpensive and easy to obtain. I think the designer (Chuck Burns) probably fougured that effort was worth the extra hull form stability and extra room inside. Hull form stability comes with added beam (as a rule). I remind you that I don't know the exact numbers for the boat so I am traking a guess.

R

Roxie6

H260

Glenn,
Thank you very much. That's about the most informative and logical reply I've heard yet on my concerns and the P.S. Better than "don't worry it won't happen" or I haven't heard of it before." It takes away the concern of a turtle on a regular gusty day or even a quick knockdown. I appreciate your input, hope you stay awhile.

PS. I still can't find any literature from Hunter or archives on whether it has postive floatation. Does anyone actually know from literature or actual experience?

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Foam in the H260

As someone who has spend a lot of time poking around in the H260, I can verify that there is foam everywhere in the spaces where it is reasonable to put it. In fact, it gets in the way when trying to run wire.

Not sure if the extra foam adds enojgh to make the boat sink proof but it does appear Hunter did give it a try. How many boats can claim to have positive stability?

My guess is that the old advice about staying with the boat applies here.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
I am almost positive it has flotation but I never checked the drawings or manufacturing to say so for sure.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't Remember Who

I do remember speaking on the phone with someone ether at Hunter or might have been Ol' Crazy Dave who told me how the filled a I think 23.5 with a garden hose and it would not sink. I doubt the 260 would differ in fact I'll bet you a beer if you fill you boat up with a hose it will stay afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.