Hull crack and oil canning

Dec 12, 2019
Catalina 22 On a trailer in Sacramento, CA
I was given a Catalina 22 with the hull pushed in (oil canned) and a crack on the edge of the oil can.
Is this repairable? If so, how would it get fixed? I would like to do this repair myself. Any suggestions is very appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is a reason it was free. Was the donor a friend? I might re-evaluate that relationship. It's not really what I would call "Oil canning." The hull is deformed and broken. I might guess the hull filled with rainwater and the weight of the water inside essentially stove the hull in. It is restorable but the better option is the Saws All and dumpster. Sell the keel for metal and part out the rest. Sorry.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Fiberglass is certainly repairable. If you have any doubt, just read this thread

The question is how much do you want this boat and what condition is the rest of it? If you are comfortable with fiberglass work, or willing to learn, and have time on your hands then go for it. Don't expect to gain enough value from the repair to make it financially beneficial. There are many easier ways to make a buck. Repairing the hull damage won't cost a lot but if the rest of the boat is not in much better shape it could cost much more.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO. You have joined an excellent group of highly skilled sailors.
Congratulations on your new to you boat.
Fiberglass is very repairable and if you have the time and facilities to get a 22' boat of its trailer you shouldn't have any problems. Youtube is your friend.

not really what I would call "Oil canning." The hull is deformed and broken. I might guess the hull filled with rainwater and the weight of the water inside essentially stove the hull in.
:plus:
The biggest concern I would have is the overall condition of a boat whose owner let that happen. That boat has been neglected. There is likely wet core, rotting stingers and corroded rigging. I could be wrong, of course, I am a lot.
I am also the eternal optimist and might consider taking on a project like that as a very lucky find. I already have one that I have no time for, but I have been very excited about it for over two years now.

My honest opinion here is with dlochner. The cheapest way to get yourself on the water and under a sail is also the fastest. Sell what you can salvage and buy a used cat 22 in good condition that you can sail today.

I hate the way that sounds, but there it is.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to make this work.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Welcome to SBO. You have joined an excellent group of highly skilled sailors.
Congratulations on your new to you boat.
Fiberglass is very repairable and if you have the time and facilities to get a 22' boat of its trailer you shouldn't have any problems. Youtube is your friend.

The biggest concern I would have is the overall condition of a boat whose owner let that happen. That boat has been neglected. There is likely wet core, rotting stingers and corroded rigging. I could be wrong, of course, I am a lot.
I am also the eternal optimist and might consider taking on a project like that as a very lucky find. I already have one that I have no time for, but I have been very excited about it for over two years now.

My honest opinion here is with dlochner. The cheapest way to get yourself on the water and under a sail is also the fastest. Sell what you can salvage and buy a used cat 22 in good condition that you can sail today.

I hate the way that sounds, but there it is.
Good luck and I hope you find a way to make this work.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I for one would be curious about the condition of the other 99% of the boat before suggesting he sell it for scrap.

That said, while the hull might be a relatively easy fix, I expect you'd have to cut out large sections of the liner in order to access the hull from inside. That part of the repair sounds like a bigger PITA than the hull itself, unless you totally don't care at all about aesthetics.

What DOES the rest of the boat look like?

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Anything made of fiberglass is repairable , it looks like the pad oil canned the hull and then the stress cracked it.
Something on the inside is wrong ie cracked stringer or pan/linner.You need to get off the trailer and see if you can get it to pop out . I don't know if a Catalina is a cored hull ,if it is the repair will now be bigger and require opening it up as the core will be wet, if not cored ,re-enforcing it with glass on the inside and repairing the crack inside and out is doable . Boats cored below the water line although stronger ,in my opinion and many others are a problem waiting to happen ,with that said new materials have been developed and wood may be a thing of the past.If done right and thought out the repair can most times make the boat stronger than when it left the factory.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Can be repaired pretty easily if the hull isn't cored. (I don't remember that the C 22 is cored, I think not) Key is going to be getting the pressure off the bunk and getting the "oil canned" area pushed back out .. The glass work can be done from the outside if the boat is moved so that the crack is a foot or so away from the bunk and no oil can is visible. The prep work is a biggie, and cleanliness is paramount. fiberglass boat hull crack repair - Google Search

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I for one would be curious about the condition of the other 99% of the boat before suggesting he sell it for scrap.

That said, while the hull might be a relatively easy fix, I expect you'd have to cut out large sections of the liner in order to access the hull from inside. That part of the repair sounds like a bigger PITA than the hull itself, unless you totally don't care at all about aesthetics.

What DOES the rest of the boat look like?
Welcome to the wonderful world of SBO... great facility and good peeps and info here!

Having done a very extensive hull/deck rebuild on my boat (three years and ongoing...), i can honestly agree with the comments from Gene...

If the mast, rigging, sails, motor are in a similar neglected state then I would seriously PASS on the kind offer from the friend.

If, and only if, all the above items are really usable and not going to cost money to actually use then the next big concern is time and effort...

Skills required are basic, some basic power tools and hand tools are required but the really good thing about fiber glass plastic construction is the easy way to cut it away and repair it. That's where the "easy" stops... it's the time and effort that needs to be considered.

And finally.... a very understanding wife and kids... because this boat will take over your so called spare time completely and eat into your family time!

Sometimes one must face reality and say... save more and look for a more worthwhile project.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't think I was being too cavalier in suggesting parting out this boat. I did a similar repair on my 15' Bandit, which was on a trailer during hurricane Bob on Long Island. The hull stove in from the trailer bunk. The big differences is that I could turn that boat over and there was no internal furniture or bulkheads. I agree the fiberglass was easy, fun and not expensive. I learned a lot. I didn't even pop the indents out. It would have complicated the repair since there is a molded liner on that boat. For this boat the repair seems far more difficult and I think would involve internal repairs not to mention the damage water might have done to internal structures. On the other hand there is money in the metal keel, e-bay bucks for hardware, a potentially valuable mast (Save for shipping), possible a kitchen assembly, etc.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you really want to go for broke - I'd try to remove it from the bunk trailer - and try to stomp the dent back out from the inside. Then grind off all the gelcoat for a few square feet surrounding the dent, and put a few new layers of fiberglass from the outside. Then put a few new layers on from the inside. Used C22's aren't expensive however, and you can easily find a better project - if you keep your eyes on the classifieds. It all really depends on how the rest of the boat is holding up, and how much you like cussing. Most C22 owners do like cussing.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
The C22 is a great boat, by the way. It's a lot of fun, and and especially with the trailer - cheap to own.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions, etc., however you decide-

Last edited: