How Would You Install A Lock On Custom Cabin Door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
As you can see from my custom Cabin Door on my 26D, the lock on the outside is ineffective because the screws are exposed. I tried putting the lock on the inside with that same hasp, but that leaves a 1/2 inch gap that rain gets in.

Any ideas how to do this in a simple way?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You could rotate the hasp 180 degrees, leaving the sliding hatch's fitting where it is now. When it is then closed, it will cover the screws.
I think...

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
justsomeguy said:
You could rotate the hasp 180 degrees, leaving the sliding hatch's fitting where it is now. When it is then closed, it will cover the screws.
I think...
Why the heck didn't I think of that? LOL!

So that the hasp hinge will end up being in the closed/bent position when it's locked, correct?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
In addition to fliping the mounting plate so it is under the hasp. The hasp needs to be bent so the the slider is allowed to overlap the door. I would leave the hasp part on the door and the eye bolt on the slider, otherwise the hasp hanging down will certainly find the top of you head and make grated cheese. ;)

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I think I saw a lock mod sail123 did either here or the other mac site.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
rotating lock

My hatch lock is based on the same type of lock that you find in a drawer. the key assembly goes through the removable part of the hatch. You put the hatch in position, pull the top back as far as you can, and using the key rotate the bar inside to the lock position,

In the lock position the inside bar rotates up behind the bar in the sliding part of the hatch. The key assembly attaches to about the middle of the inside bar, and the bar is designed so that one end blocks the top from sliding and the other end is designed to push against the removable hatch, if you try to open the hatch without unlocking it.

While verbally this sounds complicated in practice it is quite simple

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Of course it would help to show you the pic below:
View attachment 57913
I have attached a photo of mine - pop rivets. I know it does not look very 'burglar proof' but lets face it if someone really wants to break in they could just jemmy the sliidng hatch off. You could perhaps just replace the bolts with smooth round head bolts (no screw slots) or else hammer the bolt threads against the nuts from the inside so that turning the bolts with a screw driver will not release the nut - the whole thing will turn.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
My hatch lock is based on the same type of lock that you find in a drawer. the key assembly goes through the removable part of the hatch. You put the hatch in position, pull the top back as far as you can, and using the key rotate the bar inside to the lock position,

In the lock position the inside bar rotates up behind the bar in the sliding part of the hatch. The key assembly attaches to about the middle of the inside bar, and the bar is designed so that one end blocks the top from sliding and the other end is designed to push against the removable hatch, if you try to open the hatch without unlocking it.
Sounds like a nice idea!
Would you please be willing to post a few pics?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I have attached a photo of mine - pop rivets. I know it does not look very 'burglar proof' but lets face it if someone really wants to break in they could just jemmy the sliidng hatch off. snip-
Yep, they only keep honest people honest.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Ain't that the truth. My buddy just had his OB stolen and they destroyed his companionway to get in. If it wasn't locked they would have still got in but not destroyed it in the process. The funny thing was they didn't take his radios and gps stuff.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
We have a big fence around the yacht club but still there was some theft and vandalism this summer. Someone stole the breast cancer survivors dragon boat teems safety boat motor. Then came back a week later and left a note! Someone tried to let my boat off a mooring ball! While I was asleep on it! 3 other boats were let off as well to be found floating across the lake at different times. Oh, someone stole the flat 4 prong trailer light plug from my trailer.... I guess they needed one...?
I have placed a surveillance warning sticker on my transom.No problems since then... I'll get a fake camera and mount it in plan view next season.

Attachments

dawg2

Jun 25, 2012
Mac Gregor 26D GA
I would not worry too much about it. It would be quicker to use a pry bar and pop the top out of its track than to sit there with a screwdriver and take out the screws holding the hasp. If they want in, they will get in. I don't really see any reason to change it up to be honest.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
dawg2 said:
I would not worry too much about it. It would be quicker to use a pry bar and pop the top out of its track than to sit there with a screwdriver and take out the screws holding the hasp. If they want in, they will get in. I don't really see any reason to change it up to be honest.
Good point, thanks

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Finally got a picture of my companion way door hasp lock on the C-27.

Status
Not open for further replies.