how to route the Jib lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2011
Lancer 28 Pedido cove RV resort and Marina
Hi Everyone,
I am new to sailing and I just purchased my first boat. I was somewhat smart about it and had an experienced sailor come with me along with having a surveyor look it over for me. Now my question is.
From the Jib I have two lines one that runs to the port side and the other to the starboard side of the cockpit. However between the Jib and the cockpit, well there’s nothing... no pulleys, no sliders (if that’s what you call them) literally nothing. Now at the cockpit I have a winch, a cleat and the part that grabs the line. Now that’s on both sides...
I guess I'm just wondering... well whats missing in this setup? What do I need to go buy? A pulley? etc...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations on your new boat.

They're called jib sheets.

You may have tracks on either side of the boat, either on the gunwhale or the deck. There are jib sheet fairleads that fit on that track.

You may also have only a fixed point at which to connect a block for your sheets.

Either get a West Marine catalog or read up on the parts of a boat on the internet.

Once you know the names of the parts, you'll be way ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yes, congratulations. If you do not have jib tracks on your deck, you can use the toe rail. I think just about all Lancers have slotted toe rails. Anyway, you would get two blocks with snap shackles and attach to your toe rail. Piece of cake. I carry a pair in my boat as insurance if I need them. Even though I have tracks and sliding blocks.

Good luck

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
My lancer 28 ‘82 came with blocks on the toe rail. Brian D is right on, also the toe rail runs the total sides of the boat, so you can get the best position on the jib sheets.
SID/STAR TOO

Status
Not open for further replies.