How to "part out" old Catalina 22?

Sep 16, 2014
Catilina 22 Onekama
I have an old 1974 Catalina 22 which I will never sail again taking up too much room on my barn. I can use the hardware. Mast will make a nice flag pole. Probably sell the trailer and cockpit cushions. Seems like the swingkeel should have value at salvage yard. How do I get it off. What else might be valuable? Thanks

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
have you tried to list the boat & trailer for sale? parting out, messing with the keel can be a pita, unless you have time on your hands...the trailer if roadworthy can be worth more than the boat...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Donate… take the tax write off.... and BOOM.. it's over.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So step 1 carefully remove every fitting from the boat box or bag em. Bulkheads, compression post, teak trim, rear bulkhead, winch trim, and all hatch covers. Winches ( not the keel winch yet), cleats, motor mount, rudder hardware, stanchions, pulpit, stern pulpit,

Step 2 get boat off trailer remove 550# keel find something to move keel with. Take out the keel winch and lifting hardware.

Your mast is worth more than a flag pole. As is the boom. Now you can take hull to the dump.

Step 3 list all your wares on let go, facebook, and eBay.

Step 4 wait for the cash to roll in

Step 5 still waiting (sold the winches)

Point is it’s a lot of work, not much profit, and you still have to pay the dump to take the fiberglass carcass off your trailer. You are better off donating it or listing a project some other bright eyed sailor (sucker) will gladly pull it from your barn and put it in his.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you have something like a swing keel parted out, I'd post it on dedicated C22 sites like this. If anyone needed a replacement keel, I imagine they would be hard to find.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Swing keels and its winch and the mast and boom are premium items for reuse.
List them on here and see.

Sep 16, 2014
Catilina 22 Onekama
Sounds like way too much work for this "beat up" 70 year old to do. How do I donate.? Or list for sale?. Do I do pictures? What site? Thanks so much

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Sounds like way too much work for this "beat up" 70 year old to do. How do I donate.? Or list for sale?. Do I do pictures? What site? Thanks so much
You can list it here in the classified section, Craigslist, (beware of scammers), eBay, Facebook marketplace, let go, etc. yes take lots of pics and be honest about the condition. Boat angel may take it as a donation, as would possibly your local NPR station.

I would assess if the trailer is road worthy. New tire and fresh bearings are not too expensive and can be added to the selling price. Project boat with sound hull old but serviceable equipment 1.5-2k sails in good condition add $500(ish). A good power washing before sale is also helpful to close quickly. A dust brown covered hulk untouched never inspires the next sailor to plunk down his/her cash.