How to lift boat to paint bottom?

Apr 15, 2017
MacGregor 26 Sandusky, Ohio
I need to re paint bottom of MacGregor 26. Any suggestions on how to lift the boat off of trailer while sanding and painting? Also need to replace the cable attached to center board. Any suggestions on how to get to the connection?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Which Mac 26 do you have?

Here is what I've done...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-3.html

Be very careful, if the boat were to fall on you it could very easily be deadly,

Sumner
======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
It is a 26x. Thanks for the reply. How did you raise the back end that high?
Lower the tongue all the way down near the ground. That will raise the stern. Then block the stern. Then raise the tongue high and block the front. I don't like to use the tongue jack to raise high, due to the strain on it, so use a floor jack on the trailer. Once the boat is blocked it should now be above the trailer.

Start moving it forward and out from under the boat. You will have to move the forward blocking a couple times to do this if ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-3.html

... you don't have a ways to hold the boat up like I did.

I can't emphasize enough the need for safe blocking (no cinder blocks please) and care in doing this. You will have over a ton in the air,

Sumner
=================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I can't emphasize enough the need for safe blocking (no cinder blocks please)
My boat is held up in the rear with cinder block when its sitting in the side yard to take the load off the tires. Its like this for nearly 7 months of the year.

In the picture, you can see the orientation of the cinder block (right side) used to hold up the rear end of the boat and some wood blocks that distribute the load on the top side of the blocks. Im not an expert on this but I believe that per ASTM C90, these cinder blocks must have a net compressible strength of 1900 psi (in the correct orientation). A rough estimation is that the blocks Im using have a contact area of a conservative 30 square inches. That mean the load that block on the right side should be able to carry 57,000 pounds.

On the left, just for the picture, I placed another cinder block that is incorrectly oriented and who knows that the compressible rating is like this - but its not very high and likely dangerous..

block1.JPG

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Chances are those are concrete blocks and not the old cinder blocks that were around when I was younger. I don't think they have made 'cinder blocks' for some number of years but people still have them laying around. If they are 'light in weight' don't use them. No problem with concrete blocks oriented in the way you showed. I'm more of a car guy and remember some car guys getting killed when 'cinder blocks' collapsed. Also a friend of a good friend of mine was killed about 5 years ago when a car fell off jack stands on him while he was working alone in the garage.

Sumner
==============================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30TR Polk City, Iowa
Wo.uld it be possible to slide a Mac26M off of the trailer on to a lawn and then tip is 45 degrees on its side to paint the bottom? After painting thoroughly wet the bunkers and winch it back on the trailer

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I did mine by pulling the boat trailer up on car ramps

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I used the same method as @Tsatzsue . you don't need to repeatedly re-set the blocking when pulling the trailer out with the sling method. the small saw horse is for back-up support, and gets placed near the strap. you can NOT be too careful when under anything that heavy.
P1010001 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
I did the a frame and sling trick. Make sure you leave room to move the trailer out.......