How much pump should a pump pump?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My boat has an OMC saildrive that is awesome when it works. The PO got tired of priming the fuel system and installed an electric pump that runs continuously whenever the the key is in the run position. He had power at his dock, I don't. So in an effort to conserve battery power I was thinking about connecting it to the choke terminal on the ignition. Can anyone see any downsides to this? Engine continues to run if I remove fuel pump fuse

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I'm not sure of any downsides but why are you worried about the amp draw by the pump when you are running the engine. Shouldn't your alternator provide enough power? The pump should only draw a couple of amps.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The alternator is pretty useless. Same output as you'd find on an outboard but with a much larger starter

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
The alternator is pretty useless. Same output as you'd find on an outboard but with a much larger starter
Ah. I didn't realize that. Sorry.

I'd probably rather have the pump on a separate switch than have it on the choke terminal. But I'm obviously unfamiliar with your engine.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Instead of re-thinking the engineers design (Yes, guilty, I are one), why don't you figure out why the OEM pump is loosing prime? Could be an air leak, bad pump valves, or maybe you just angered Neptune.
Maybe it's just me, but i always try to figure out why something isn't working properly before I implement a work-around.

But bad designs do exist and then the best solution is often a modification.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Actually most diesels will continue running without the lift pump as long as your injection pump runs well. I have a Westerbeke diesel that has a very weird lift pump circuit that only ran the lift pump during start up and glow plug use. When I had my injector pump rebuilt the mechanic took one look at the circuit and ripped it out and hooked to the ignition switch without even asking. He said the circuit was ridiculous. It now works all the time the key is on. No difference.
Do you have an inboard that drives your saildrive? If you do you should make a priority of getting a robust alternator. It will probably make your life a lot simpler. My .02 of course.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I agree, the your saildrive has it's own fuel pump. fix the issue with it and do away with the electric pump all together.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How much pump should a pump pump, if a pump could pump fuel!

It would pump, It would, as much as it could, and pump as much fuel as a pump would if a pump could pump fuel.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I would be hesitant to hook a fuel pump to the mechanism you use to shut the engine down. In the case of a leak or emergency were you need to shut it down, I wouldn’t want a fuel pump firing up, I would want it off.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Feels like an on/off pump switch near the key is a practical solution.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Instead of re-thinking the engineers design (Yes, guilty, I are one), why don't you figure out why the OEM pump is loosing prime? Could be an air leak, bad pump valves, or maybe you just angered Neptune.
Maybe it's just me, but i always try to figure out why something isn't working properly before I implement a work-around.

But bad designs do exist and then the best solution is often a modification.
The original primer bulb is long gone. PO got tired of reaching into the lazarette so he added an electric. I've removed the fuse from the pump after starting the engine. It runs fine.
Actually most diesels will continue running without the lift pump as long as your injection pump runs well. I have a Westerbeke diesel that has a very weird lift pump circuit that only ran the lift pump during start up and glow plug use. When I had my injector pump rebuilt the mechanic took one look at the circuit and ripped it out and hooked to the ignition switch without even asking. He said the circuit was ridiculous. It now works all the time the key is on. No difference.
Do you have an inboard that drives your saildrive? If you do you should make a priority of getting a robust alternator. It will probably make your life a lot simpler. My .02 of course.
Yes, it is an inboard. I've been looking for an alternator for the past few years. Parts are hard to come by unfortunately. I plan on installing a solar panel but would hate for the batteries to slowly die if I'm motoring a far distance

Motor decided to stop spitting cooling water when we were motoring to the ramp for haul out. If it's not one thing it's another...

• Ha
Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Feels like an on/off pump switch near the key is a practical solution.
If he's just using it to replace the primer bulb, I would go with a momentary push button. Run the pump for a couple seconds and fire it up.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Choke is a momentary push "button" built into the ignition. No one mentioned any concerns such as engine flooding (nor has it happened with it running with ignition on) so I'll give it a try. It's free and easy