How has everyone fared with Floyd so far?

• Thread starter LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

I've heard the Bahamas were devastated but he bypassed Florida. Now he's on his way back towards NC. How's everyone doing? If you're in the path, good luck - we're all thinking of you! LaDonna

J

John Mavrovich

Still Afloat

I keep my C30 in Oriental, NC (at the coast). Aside from the high winds and high water, Floyd spun off several small tornados. Rivers and streams haven't all crested yet and towns are STILL being evacuated. The boat's OK. I keep it in the marina as opposed to multiple anchors in tucked away creeks as many do during storms. I guess I've gotten good (or lucky) at hurricane preparation with Dennis, Fran, Bertha, Bonnie, Felix and now Floyd. Thanks for your concern...

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Not destroyed, but.......

The eye of Floyd passed right over us. My boat broke loose with the help of other boat that dragged anchors I was told. Some brave friends were unsuccessful in trying to save it but they were able to protect it with a fender that just happened to show up in the storm. The put the fender between the boat and the tree that is supporting it. It is about 30 feet from a friends house in the marsh standing up on its keel and cradled between cypress trees. They tell me it appears undamaged but it is a long way from deep water. During the storm, the water was about 8 feet above normal. Many boats have not fared so well as mine they tell me. I cannot get there to inspect it as the roads are not passable either flooded, washed out or bridges are gone in eastern, NC. I reported to the insurance co. They assigned a case number and have already contacted a professional salvor and surveyor. Some friends beautiful boats did not fare so well. Lots of damage. Boats high and dry in the marsh or in the woods lying on their side with lots of damage.

M

Mike Kinney

Sorry, Wayne

Wayne, I hope you are able to retrieve your boat and that it has suffered little damage. You have certainly endured more than your share of storms in recent years.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hang in there Wayne

Very sorry to hear this... but fiberglass is both tough and repairable. Hopefully, the damage was minor and you'll end up with a heck of a story about how the boat was re-launched. Our thoughts are with you and your dockmates.

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Thanks for the concern and support

I still am not able to get to the boat due to impassable roads but I have a positive attitude. As Phil said, fiberglass is repairable or replaceable. My loss is miniscule compared to many that have lost homes, businesses and loved ones. I am curious to hear of others experiences. Yes we have had our share of direct hits in recent years. The March 93 unnamed storm, Bertha in 96, Fran in 96, Bonnie last year 98, Dennis twice in 99 and Floyd in 99. We had several near misses too. We survived all of them. Maybe I will move to California and get a house on the San Andreas fault!

B

Bob Knott

Cape Cod spared

The Cape was mostly free from damage. Of course the news found one 37 foot sailboat getting smashed onto a jetty and play the tape for days, but Floyd was thankfully a dud here. Maximum gust 72mph, with sustained of 50-60mph for about 5 hours according to the NWS. I took off the dodger, wrapped the sails tight (wishing I'd taken them off) put out extra chafe gear on the mooring lines and removed the zodiak from the water. The went home had a glass of wine and slept through the storm. Fortunatley all the boats here are fine. Wayne are hopes are with you! Bob Knott S/V Serenity Wychmere Harbor Harwichport, MA

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Hold on to your hats - here come Gert!

Hopefully she'll bypass the East Coast. But the Bahamas are in for quite a hit. Good luck, Wayne, and keep us posted! LaDonna

C

Carroll H. Austin

Results from "Floyd"

As someone has previously written, the Cape Cod area was spared, and likewise the Downeast Coast of Maine. My Catalina 25 was on mooring in Castine Harbor and incurred no damage.

B

Bob & Sue Townsend

Dennis x2 and then Floyd

What a month, one hurricane twice, and then Floyd! I keep our Catalina 320 "Dragonfly" in Oriental, NC at a marina and we all did OK. Very fortunate we were. A couple boats rubbed and had some gouged gel coat, but that was all for all the hurricanes. WIth Floyd, I had visions of boats in the marsh and my mast sticking in someones porch. I had stayed as long as I could, adjusting dock lines and when I left, roads were being closed behind me. I felt very blessed when I saw how devastated eastern NC was, and we had done so well. The Red Cross is still taking donations for eastern NC and besides our prayers would appreciate donations. It looks like it is going to be years before they recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.