How do I install Shore Power?

Apr 6, 2009
Macgregor M26S Custom Classic Fresno
I have a 1991 Mac26 and plan on putting it in a marina. I currently do not have shore power and would look to set something up. Has anyone installed their own shore power? How did you do it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That's a neat and clean kit in @JRT s post.
Do you have electrical experience? Working with marine AC is a little different than house AC and as always it can be a killer.
What do you plan on powering with your shore power? Battery charger? Outlets for plugging in appliances? Hot water heater?
The main components are the shore power connection, AC main breaker and sub breakers. How many depends on how many circuits you need.
Check out the Blue Sea Systems AC breaker panels at www.bluesea.com Read the instructions and other info they provide. It will help you understand what your getting into.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Yup and if I had @Ward H in my marina I would probably have a better understanding of electrical systems. My engineering college dean was pretty aggravated with me because I somehow made it all the way to my senior year project and 'forgot' to take electrical design 101:) I was the only senior in a class full of freshman and sophomores.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I chose to do a solar system instead of shore power. So no personal experience. But a couple links I found helpful in my research. If you haven't already, start by reading @mainesail's articles:
https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-marine-battery-charger/
https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/
And any other relevant articles at MHT.com (e.g. the electrical category at https://marinehowto.com/category/electrical/).

If and when I install a shore power system, I will definitely use SmartPlug components. They're costly, but sure look worth it from a safety perspective.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
John's too kind.

Another thought. I had an O'day 25 with outboard. One under water thru hull with new valve on it, which I never opened.
It had a shallow bilge so little room for a bilge pump. I assessed the risk and decided a bilge pump was not needed.
My group 24 battery started my OB and ran my chart plotter and auto pilot fine. I only charged it three times a year. Beginning of the season, middle of the season and near the end of the season. I had a few LED lights I used occasionally. The OB had a basic charging system which helped to provide a little bit of charge for the battery but not much.

When I needed to power the charger or anything else while in the slip I simply ran an extension cord into the boat.

So assess your real need for shore power, you might be able to keep it simple.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had the same boat. The PO had already wired it for AC. The shore plug receptacle was mounted in the motor well. It made it easy to wire it from the laz. All I had were AC outlets on GFCI. My charger was plugged in under the sink near the battery.
If I were doing my own system, I'd use the SmartPlug. A dock neighbor had an overheat problem with his old twistlock and converted over. He owned an electric company so he knows a thing or two about it.

Apr 6, 2009
I just want to keep my house batteries charged and keep power going for my bilge pump. I probably would have one outlet. I am good with having a simple system.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just want to keep my house batteries charged and keep power going for my bilge pump. I probably would have one outlet. I am good with having a simple system.
Do you have a charger for the batteries? I would install a modest shore power charger and use an extensioin cord.

A shore power receptacle is jus tthe beginning of a boat AC system. It's a non-trivial job to add AC to boat.

Apr 6, 2009
I do not have a charger for the boat batteries yet. Do you have any recommendations? I would like something that will keep the batteries charged while I am away as I will not be able to get to the marina anymore than once or twice a month.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well that is a can of worms for sure:) When I had my one, very old cheap battery in my O'Day 25, which all I needed was for my radio, cabin lights and running lights I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BM3B-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B0051D3MP6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2G0EUIXCMRC74&keywords=black+and+decker+marine+battery+charger&qid=1564161831&s=gateway&sprefix=black+and+decker+charger+for+marin,aps,283&sr=8-5

I bought it because I needed something and it worked just fine for my needs, I'm very sure nobody will like that I used that charger. I have a more serious battery setup on C310 now (4 6V golf cart batteries and stand alone starting battery) and I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-6...=B004NPOT4G&psc=1&refRID=AZR2AKVSHEA8NBRYHCHR

Basically define your needs for battery and power and go from there. Also define what your long term position is for the Mac 26, is this a forever boat or a boat for a couple more years, I find that drives my thoughts and considerations too.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Probably safer and simpler to add solar to do what you want to do.
I’d suggest you start looking at some of the threads on installing a solar panel and controller.
A single panel installed so it can be removed when your sailing may be all you need.