hot water tank hose connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
I have a small leak where the outlet (hot) water line connects to the hot water tank. I thought it might be the rubber washer and found one that seemed similar but still have the leak. The water line is plastic - does anyone know who makes this? Whale?? Also, given that the connection is flanged, I assume it should be tightened finger tight only? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Some (possible) Help

Bobbay,
Yes the fittings and pipes are Whale components. You may find some info at www.whalepumps.com. I have a PDF file showing how to assemble and disassemble the connections and parts availability (I think from the website). If you can't find it, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. You also could contact Brett in service at Yacht Sales West for advise at service@yachtsaleswest.com or 604.488-1290.
Good luck and let us know what you find,
Tom:)

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
The water system in my Vision 40 is all Whale quick disconnect fittings. I'm not sure from your note that yours is the same. If it is and you're looking for spare parts be sure to get metric sizes. Whale makes both and non-metric fittings may seem OK but are different enough to cause leaks.

Rob

R

RHalsall

Hot water hose leak cause

The water system in my Vision 40 is all Whale quick disconnect fittings. I'm not sure from your note that yours is the same. If it is and you're looking for spare parts be sure to get metric sizes. Whale makes both and non-metric fittings may seem OK but are different enough to cause leaks.

Rob
I'm a little embarased to say that it took me 5 years to find the root cause of a leak at the plastic hot water tank fitting of my Bavaria 36, but I've finally fixed it permanently. I too thought the push fitting was bad but it turned out that the root cause was the electric heater temperature controller was set too high from the factory causing the plastic hose to collapse very slightly at the O-ring, resulting at a leak. To fix the leak, cut off 1/2 " of the tubing to remove the deformed tubing section. But don't forget to turn down your hot water tank to below the working temperature of the plastic tubing or the leak will start again in a few weeks. Also make sure that the other O-ring (in the threaded female part of the plastic connector) is seated in its' groove and the plastic connector is snug on the hot water tank, but not overly tightened. No more wet bilges!

Status
Not open for further replies.