Honda 5hp vertical shaft came out while pulling water pump

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
When I was pulling the lower unit the vertical shaft that goes from the water pump up to the engine head also dropped out. This wasn't mentioned in the directions I am following. Note this is a 2012 4 cycle.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=129302

On the vertical shaft end is a square tube to mate with the pump and the other has splines to mate with the head. Is there any trick to getting it back in? Is it very hard? I remember doing something with my old Johnson 6 (it's been awhile) where I had to slowly spin the prop while I was inserting it. Do I do the same thing here? Or do I insert the shaft into the engine then mate up the lower unit?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Re: Honda 5hp vertical shaft came out while pulling water pu

Use a flashlight to look up the housing and make sure the drive shaft goes into the center hole. It should go in but if not just wiggle the prop a little and keep pushing up. Match up water pipe to fitting and recouple shift shafts. Chief

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Re: Honda 5hp vertical shaft came out while pulling water pu

I have found that putting the intermediate shaft on the engine spline first then mounting the lower unit and pump is the easiest but it really does not make a difference if you like to do it another way. Clean the splined shaft shaft end well and put a glob of grease on the end and wipe messily around the sides to lube the splines and the seal at the top. Sometimes, standing it upside down (on towels or packing material to make it stable) helps with this step too.

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Thanks, was able to get back together

I panicked a little when things didn't go per the instructions.