Hole in the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
how deep a crack?

how deep is the crack? yikes...could it have split due to the pressure on the trailer? looks ugly. again, post more photos when you get chance...

May 4, 2005
how deep a crack?

how deep is the crack? yikes...could it have split due to the pressure on the trailer? looks ugly. again, post more photos when you get chance...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
holy cow

It seems to me that just about anything you could do on the trailer would not damage a boat like that. I think the strap would bust long before the boat did. The glass in the picture looks fairly thick and I think the D models used hand laid glass which is fairly strong (the S model and later do for sure) Sounds like you dont have the history on what happened? I would think it would require a very hard grounding on something sharp or a car accident or getting tossed around in a huricane or something like that?? Or maybe it was raised up on jacks and fell off somehow? Id get a gallon set of West System Epoxy with the pumps and a bunch of maybe 8 inch wide fiberglass "boat tape". Grind all the damaged - delaminated glass off and fair it so you can get a lot of surface to bond to. Leave the surface a little rough to also get a mechanical bond and then clean with acetone. Id glass from the inside first and then from the outside. Your going to use a lot of epoxy and glass to fix things. Im not sure what the putty idea was - it wont have any mechanical strength but I guess could help with forming things.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
holy cow

It seems to me that just about anything you could do on the trailer would not damage a boat like that. I think the strap would bust long before the boat did. The glass in the picture looks fairly thick and I think the D models used hand laid glass which is fairly strong (the S model and later do for sure) Sounds like you dont have the history on what happened? I would think it would require a very hard grounding on something sharp or a car accident or getting tossed around in a huricane or something like that?? Or maybe it was raised up on jacks and fell off somehow? Id get a gallon set of West System Epoxy with the pumps and a bunch of maybe 8 inch wide fiberglass "boat tape". Grind all the damaged - delaminated glass off and fair it so you can get a lot of surface to bond to. Leave the surface a little rough to also get a mechanical bond and then clean with acetone. Id glass from the inside first and then from the outside. Your going to use a lot of epoxy and glass to fix things. Im not sure what the putty idea was - it wont have any mechanical strength but I guess could help with forming things.

May 4, 2005
Biaxial Mat tape

this stuff is strong, and easy to work with. but not until its in the 50's at least and even better in 70's. this shows the balast pretty good: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/ftldiver/mac/26dplan.jpg

May 4, 2005
Biaxial Mat tape

this stuff is strong, and easy to work with. but not until its in the 50's at least and even better in 70's. this shows the balast pretty good: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/ftldiver/mac/26dplan.jpg

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Holy cow is right

as far as how did it happen... I can tell you it was not that way when I bought the boat, so I did it some how. It was not in a hurricane and I did not run aground or crash my truck while towing the boat, nothing that cool. Like I said straping down to tight maybe, boat on bunks about an inch off center, I could have driven over something that might have bounced it good. I live in Phoenix and there is road construction on every road.

Sep 6, 2007
- - Phx, AZ
Holy cow is right

as far as how did it happen... I can tell you it was not that way when I bought the boat, so I did it some how. It was not in a hurricane and I did not run aground or crash my truck while towing the boat, nothing that cool. Like I said straping down to tight maybe, boat on bunks about an inch off center, I could have driven over something that might have bounced it good. I live in Phoenix and there is road construction on every road.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
Grounded

If you look closely: The right side of the "crack" is the front of the boat and the start of the RIP. You can see, it starts small and pointed and get larger as it progresses reward (into the crack opening). This boat was impaled on a sharp rock. If it were split resulting from the trailer, you would see torn fiber strands and and no marks in the gelcoat preceding the actual opening. Also look at the area immediately behind the leading scratch: it is actually pushed inward from an exterior sharp object (rock). This is a major structural failure (since it is in the backbone of the boat) caused by ramming the boat onto a sharp rock.

Oct 16, 2008
Grounded

If you look closely: The right side of the "crack" is the front of the boat and the start of the RIP. You can see, it starts small and pointed and get larger as it progresses reward (into the crack opening). This boat was impaled on a sharp rock. If it were split resulting from the trailer, you would see torn fiber strands and and no marks in the gelcoat preceding the actual opening. Also look at the area immediately behind the leading scratch: it is actually pushed inward from an exterior sharp object (rock). This is a major structural failure (since it is in the backbone of the boat) caused by ramming the boat onto a sharp rock.

Oct 16, 2008
another seniario

I guess you finished your post as I was writing. Yes this could also have happened by an object (piece of metal) picked up off our freeway and it would have looked exactly the same

Oct 16, 2008
another seniario

I guess you finished your post as I was writing. Yes this could also have happened by an object (piece of metal) picked up off our freeway and it would have looked exactly the same

May 4, 2005
trailer caused the cracks?

So we think the trailer caused the cracks? either straped too tight and no support (partial) bouncing around on the trl... Regardless you need to better support the hull... I'd get some styrofoam strips in the mean time... (stop futher damage) and redo the bunks (bottom must be supported). thats a pretty big job, but not too complex.. Do you have experience with fiberglass (epoxy)?

May 4, 2005
trailer caused the cracks?

So we think the trailer caused the cracks? either straped too tight and no support (partial) bouncing around on the trl... Regardless you need to better support the hull... I'd get some styrofoam strips in the mean time... (stop futher damage) and redo the bunks (bottom must be supported). thats a pretty big job, but not too complex.. Do you have experience with fiberglass (epoxy)?

C

Chris & Lenore - Mac 26S - Teliki

I'm not sure the trailer needs anything except

It is the factory trailer designed for that boat. The hull is designed to be supported on the current bunk arrangement. Regardless of people saying the trailer is poor, I have not read on any forum of rampant hull damage - and it would definitely be talked about if it happened even once (Macs seem to be perpetually under the magnifying glass). Many of this vintage are trailered and many with the outboard in place and the boat loaded for cruising. I would suggest replacing the bunk boards if they are rotted - with 2 X 4 and slotted holes so they can bend and conform to the hull under load (as designed). The damage you have seems almost impossible to have been caused by the trailer or the straps being too tight. Unfortunately, it also seems to be in a "structural" area so you'll have to ensure hull integrity is maintained. I agree with one of the other posts - it looks like it slid over a pointed obstruction. Chris

C

Chris & Lenore - Mac 26S - Teliki

I'm not sure the trailer needs anything except

It is the factory trailer designed for that boat. The hull is designed to be supported on the current bunk arrangement. Regardless of people saying the trailer is poor, I have not read on any forum of rampant hull damage - and it would definitely be talked about if it happened even once (Macs seem to be perpetually under the magnifying glass). Many of this vintage are trailered and many with the outboard in place and the boat loaded for cruising. I would suggest replacing the bunk boards if they are rotted - with 2 X 4 and slotted holes so they can bend and conform to the hull under load (as designed). The damage you have seems almost impossible to have been caused by the trailer or the straps being too tight. Unfortunately, it also seems to be in a "structural" area so you'll have to ensure hull integrity is maintained. I agree with one of the other posts - it looks like it slid over a pointed obstruction. Chris

May 4, 2005
2 X 6" BUNKS

IS THIS THE FACTORY 26D TRAILER? ($64,000 QUESTION!) (ps: the bunks are 6" wide, use 2x6" not 2x4") it does LOOKS STOCK (from what little I can see). if its not the stock trailer, that would explain things.. (and what I assumed, the trailer was not original). if its an original trailer, then I have no idea why it happened... (must have hit a rock? or maybe the axle?)

May 4, 2005
2 X 6" BUNKS

IS THIS THE FACTORY 26D TRAILER? ($64,000 QUESTION!) (ps: the bunks are 6" wide, use 2x6" not 2x4") it does LOOKS STOCK (from what little I can see). if its not the stock trailer, that would explain things.. (and what I assumed, the trailer was not original). if its an original trailer, then I have no idea why it happened... (must have hit a rock? or maybe the axle?)

Status
Not open for further replies.