High winds sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Maynard

No response on 'ask an owner', and I'd really like some feedback before I spend the cash! Do any Catalina 250 (water ballasted) owners have any experiences of sailing in heavy seas and or high winds? How would they stand up to a knock down (no pun intended!) Any thoughts gratefully accepted by a potential purchaser... Rich.

M

Mark Melchior

Ask the same question on the national assn. forum

If you don't get your answer here, you might also ask on the C25/C250 National Association "Sailor's Forum" located at http://www.trailersailor.com/webbbs/catalina25/ I own a 1999 C250wb and do my best to stay off the water with high winds. I've never been in anything even close to a knockdown and hope I never will. My main has two sets of reef points. I single reef at about 12-15 knots. I've never had to double reef, but others have suggested 20-25 knots. Mark Melchior C250 "Lorelei" #384

A

Arlyn Stewart

C250 W/B and heavy weather

I trailered my c250 w/b from Texas to Northern Great Lakes waters the last two summmers and sailed it over 700 miles in a variety of conditions including beating to weather in 25 knots with four ft seas and running downwind in 30 knots in six ft seas. The boat is considered a tender boat because it carries enough sail to be a great light and medium air performer. This extra power has to be managed as the wind pipes up, but if this is done, the boat is able. The c250 is a forgiving boat and would be very difficult to knock down unless done so by wave action. When healed more that 40 deg, it will round up into the wind rather than allow itself to be pushed down. I have been active on the c25/c250 web site now for almost four years and have not heard of a knock down or even a dip of the spreaders of this boat. It is given to weather helm if heal is not managed 25 degrees or less. In heavy seas with short chop like sometimes happens in the great lakes, it will provide a smoother ride(less hobby horse) and safer passage than a weighted swing keel boat. (heavy swings can hammer the keel trunk) If your looking for maximum amenities in an easily trailered boat that is an able performer, the c250 w/b is a good choice. It can easily be set up, launched and sailed solo. It has enough room for a family to camp on the boat for a weekend or even a week. Arlyn Stewart C250 w/b "R&R"

R

Rich Maynard

Thanks

Thanks for the info so far, guys. I've also posted on the National Association Website as suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.