High Output Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Bunkofske

My 35A Hitachi alternator is toast and I really need something in the 60A range anyway for 400 Ah of batteries. I would be interested in other's experience with Balmar or Ample Power Products high-output alternators. The other question is: do you feel it is really necessary to purchase the monitoring equipment (Link 10, EMON II) also? It certainly makes the system for elegant, but REALLY adds to the cost. My cruising is mostly day sails with the occasional overnight on Lake Champlain. No blue water or Great Lakes sailing at this point. Always within site of shore and a radio or cell-phone call away for help. Thanks! Ray Bunkofske

J

John Visser

How much battery do you really need?

For day sailing and an occasional overnight, why would you need 400 AH of capacity? In any event, I would encourage you to look at Hamilton-Ferris, only because their product is every bit as good as Balmar and others, and I received excellent, personalized service from them. (see link)

C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

Good Report Here

We have had excellent experience with our system. We have a Balmar 100-amp dual output alternator with a Balmar Max Charge regulator. This system serves 300 AH of AGM batteries. After getting over a few initial problems with the regulator, that system has served us extremely well and has met all of our expectations, and, with what that system cost, we had high expectations! Pumps those batteries up quickly so that we can get on with sailing, and makes certain that we don't fry those sensitive AGM's. If you are going to install a high output alternator, you almost certainly will need some kind of external monitor/regulator; most (all?) of the high output alternators do not have internal regulators. If you have AGM's or gel cells you will want a high-quality regulator; they fry easily. We love our system, but it was indeed very pricey. Our sailing habits and the way that we tend to use our batteries made it worth it to us. What is your daily load on those batteries? Do you really need the high output alternator? What kind of batteries do you have? How much are you willing to spend? We viewed the batteries, the alternator, and the regulator as the very heart of our boats electrical system and we spent the money to get what we felt we needed based on how we sail and use our batteries. We can give a very positive report on what we have. The question is what you really need. Carl and Jule s/v 'Syzygy'

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hitachi Makes a 55 Amp

I know because that is what came off my 40.5. I have 600 amps and installed a 100 amp Balmar with a three stage regulator. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get a 55 amp easily and hook everything right up. If you want to save $$, skip the three stage and see what you think. However, I actually think a smart regulator, three stage or not, is a better buy than a bigger alternator.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
70A Balmar w/ Balmar Regulator Experience

Our setup is four golf carts and a group 27 wet cell batteries. The charging system is a Balmar 70A single-belt with a Balmar regulator. We do not have a battery monitoring system per se. The Hart inverter has a LED panel with voltages in 0.5 V increments which is as good as it gets. If I need more information I use a Fluke 77 digital multimeter on the cigarette lighter adapter (with so few people smoking we need a more appropriate name for this). The Fluke 77 was their "high accuracy" model when it was new and reads to 0.01 volts. It provides all the detail one needs albeit with more effort. When we bought the Balmar about nine years ago it was bench tested and produced about 120 amps "cold". What this means is when you first start the engine after siting on the hook overnight the output will be really high. The output will match the acceptance rate of the batteries so it will dump a lot of Amp-hours into the banks really quickly. As the engine room warms up and the alternator heats up the output will drop down to it's rated output (which is how Balmars are rated) but that's okay because the battery acceptance rate has dropped also. The three-step regulator is one of the best things that ever happened to charging systems and I agree with Carl Dupre that the batteries and charging system is the heart of your electrical system. Sure, it costs but look at the wear and tear on the engine when charging batteries without a three-step regulator. And besides, it's only money.

B

Bob Petersen

You may want to look this

If you have a Yanmar you may want to check this site. I do not currently have one but I'm planning to get one for our boat.

R

Ron

Check your numbers

For a 400ah battery bank you should have at least a 100amp alternator. The rule is, 25% of the battery bank. I assume you are charging all of the batteries at the same time??? Ron/KA5HZV

E

Ed Schenck

Two words of caution.

Most diesels with a 35amp Hitachi are low on horsepower(like my own 20HP Yanmar). If the batteries are low when you start your engine to try to stay off that lee shore watch out! A 100 amp alternator takes a lot of horses to spin. I opted for the 55amp Hitachi and it has the internal regulator. If you call Marathon Diesel about their 100amp "Yanmar" alternator make sure there is a return policy. I know of at least two cases where that alternator did not fit.

L

Les Murray

Second for Hamilton Ferris

I am working the Hamilton Ferris right now to design a new power system for my Catalina 36. If you get their 125A alternator with an external 3-stage regulator that will keep your batteries in the best condition. Balmar or Ample Power are similar, but more expensive. No matter which alternator you choose, get an external 3-stage regulator. This way if either the regulator or alternator need servicing, things are simpler to deal with. Good luck. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

Status
Not open for further replies.