High output alternator for a Universal M25

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Les Murray

All, I have a 86 C-36 with a Universal M-25. I am in the process of trying to upgrade my batteries and alternator and want to know what kind of high output alternator I should get. Looking at my M25 alternator, it appears to have a saddle mount. I have looked at Balmar and PowerMax (Hamilton-Ferris). The important thing to know is what type of mount (single foot, double foot, 1", 2", etc.) Thanks for your input. This makes for a good follow-on question to Chuck Reed's question about battery size and location. Thanks again for your help. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

J

John Buckham

Balmar

I'm using the Balmar, so far it has worked well for me. I'm charging a couple of Group 27's with it. The regulator they sell makes the system work well, it's a three stage unit that really gets the batteries topped off. You will need to make a few wiring changes though. John.

J

John Visser

H-F; alternator output

1. I recommend Hamilton-Ferris, based onpersonal experience. Great company, serivce, product and price. Highest quality. 2. I mounted a H-F Powermax on my M25. I first upgraded the alternator bracket - the old one had already broken, but the mounting not totally failed - I made it in the nick of time! The bracket is such that the standard fan won't swing, so I cut a clearence into the fan blades (quite small) on the lathe so it would clear the bracket. 3. Its not the size/capacity of the alternator, I think, but the load you put on it, that determine how much current it will source, and therefore the load on the engine. I think a larger capacity alternator will simply run cooler at the same load as the smaller one. I therefore used the highest capacity (125A) that I could fit. I control it with an outboard regulator and automatic bank swither (Path Maker).

D

Don

Alternator

It has been my experience, that an alternator that loads up to 65 amps or more, requires a dual belt arrangement.

B

Bob Stephens

High output alternator

You might want to take a look at the High Output Alternators that the Battery Shack in Florida makes. These alternators are 100 amp, made on a Delco chassis and can be purchased with and without a built- in smart regulator (it is supposed to be just like the 3-stage regulators). They are meant to be pretty much a straight accross replacement (same belt and at most only a slight mounting modification). If you look in the forum archieves under High output Alternators you will find several responses about these alternators. It seems that several people have had great success with them. I talked with someone personally at the Battery Shack (I believe the owner) and these alternators sound like a great deal at about $225. I believe shipping is about $25. He claims that he has never had one come back and offers a life-time warranty for $25 extra! Check out thier web site for more information. As soon as I get my Link 2000 installed on my Catalina 36 and figure out my battery charge/consumption rate, I am going to look into these alternators. I would be interested as to what you find out and decide. I hope this helps!

C

Chuck Reed

Belt

I measured all of the pulleys on my M-25 then talked with my parts guy, and decided there was no reason to run a fractional HP belt. I always had problems with it slipping anyway. So I am going to a standard V type belt this season. Another month or two before I find out how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.