Hi, new guy on a new forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2009
81 O'Day 23-2.......... Kiwi Magic Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Hi there, I am new to this forum, I see it has been up and running only a short time.
I have a Sandpiper sailboat and are looking at the possibility of moving to a Sirius 21/22.
The reason is that a Sirius has more cabin room and is easier to move about in, also, the galley is a big plus, all for the better half!
I will be lurking here seeing what I can learn etc.
Eric, I see you are posting here frequently, I am the owner of "Jenny" (Kiwi John).
Just thought I would touch base here.
Are there any pictures on the forum yet of Sirius sailboats, I don't seem to find any in posts.

cheers
John

rwb

Apr 23, 2009
2 Sirius21 North Bay
Sirius web site

Welcome John, good to hear you are looking to upgrade to a Sirius. Another good source of info is the Siriusowners, Sirius Owners web site. It is the older site dedicated to the Sirius sailboats. Members have placed some photos of their boats. Join and enjoy, good luck in your search for a 21 or 22, they are great boats....Bob

Hi there, I am new to this forum, I see it has been up and running only a short time.
I have a Sandpiper sailboat and are looking at the possibility of moving to a Sirius 21/22.
The reason is that a Sirius has more cabin room and is easier to move about in, also, the galley is a big plus, all for the better half!
I will be lurking here seeing what I can learn etc.
Eric, I see you are posting here frequently, I am the owner of "Jenny" (Kiwi John).
Just thought I would touch base here.
Are there any pictures on the forum yet of Sirius sailboats, I don't seem to find any in posts.

cheers
John

Sep 30, 2009
Welcome John, good to hear you are looking to upgrade to a Sirius. Another good source of info is the Siriusowners, Sirius Owners web site. It is the older site dedicated to the Sirius sailboats. Members have placed some photos of their boats. Join and enjoy, good luck in your search for a 21 or 22, they are great boats....Bob

Thanks Bob,
what would be the address or link to their site?

Thanks
John

Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
Good to have you aboard! :D

Folks, if and when John gets a Sirius, watch out!! I've seen pictures and posts of John's Sandpiper, Jenny, and John spares no expense, and talent when it comes to owning a sailboat.

John I say this with the greatest amount of praise and respect. What you did to Jenny is remarkable!

John, there are several albums on the Yahoo Siriusowners site, that might interest you.

Have you gone to look at some boats? Mine is still in the water at the Barrie Marina. She'll come out just after Thanksgiving. You're welcome to come up and view her, if you would like to have a no hassle look at one. Having said that, there's usually at least one Sirius in every marina.

In my mind, a Sirius is the next logical step up from a Sandpiper. The Sandpiper is a terrific little trailerable sailboat, and I really enjoyed mine. They tow well, set up quick, and sail superbly. They're just a little short on space.
With the Sirius, the biggest plus for me is the pop top, which gives you full 6' standing headroom, while at anchor. The little galley is workable, although I still like to cook in the cockpit. A proper fold down table is another great feature. The V berth is very spacious, and the head is tucked away on the starboard side behind the dinette, which gives better privacy.
The Sirius is naturally a bit heavier for towing. I have a pick up so there was no difference for me. I'm sure a class ll hitch will suffice. There is a bit more rigging to set up, and it took me a few goes at it until I got comfortable. I raise and lower the mast without an A frame. I can do it solo, but I do feel better when I have and extra hand. However, there are skippers who prefer a mast raising aid, and there are pictures in the Yahoo album.

I have been quite pleased with her sailing characteristics. Even with my old baggy sails, I can get up to 5-6 knots with a decent breeze. The only time I've been in nasty weather was this summer in the North Channel. In very rough seas, she took it all in stride while motoring. We kept going while others in our group headed back to the anchorage for safety! I have a 6hp extra long shaft Nissan, and never felt underpowered. Once we got around the island and the winds where in the right direction, she sailed like a witch! Of course, it's wise to rig up a good reefing system for when you need it.

So fire off any questions you may have, and we'll try and help you out:)
Here's a couple pictures for you:

Best regards, Eric

Caught me in a tack:

Tied to shore/pop top up:

Anchored close to shore, North Channel:

Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for the kind words Eric.
Your Sirius looks great, I really like the look of these sailboats.
I have signed in on the Yahoo site as Technodad as well and have already looked at all the pictures there, a nice group I must say.
The other day I did look at a Sirius docked next to "Jenny" in Bronte, I talked to the owner (John) and he let me go inside it, I was very impressed. He was docking for the night as he was having her taken out the next day.
Since looking at the Yahoo site I now realize John is DiamondKiwi, he showed me the new Bee Sirius grahics on his boat, very nice!
I wonder if he is a Kiwi like me?
Thanks again and I'll post on Yahoo.

Cheers John

May 14, 2009
Sirius 21 Pelican Yacht Club, Manitoba
Hi John,
Daryl from Manitoba here. I bought my first sailboat this spring, 1977 Sirius 21, and love it. I am going to pull it out of the lake today & maybe get one more sail in.
There are lots of pictures on the yahoo group site sirius owners.
I post pics of "island Time" on www.flickr.com/photos/island-time-manitoba
I am always interested in seeing pics of other Sirius boats as well. Always looking to improve comfort in the cabin of efficiency in the cockpit.

Daryl

Status
Not open for further replies.