Hey Gregg - Venture 25 Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I do not want to Highjack this thread, but Phil, what upgrades have you done to your V25? I have the same one, and I have a few ideas.

Thanks,

Gregg

I have done very little to my V25 in the six years I have had the boat. Around here we have a thing called WINTER that pretty much stops any boat work and I'd rather sail then work on the boat.
With that said I have done the following:
1. Installed a new Garelick motor mount. It is great and even my wife can raise and lower the motor.
2. Installed a stereo in the cabin. No exterior speakers!
3. Bought a new 100% jib and installed new pad eyes on cabin top.
4. Installed and removed jam cleats for the Genoa, after the winches. Didn't help with solo sailing, so I moved them to the cabin top with the pad-eyes for the new jib.
5. Installed a tiller extender. More relaxing when the winds are light.
6. Replaced the compass this summer.
7. Installed guide posts on the trailer. Used the first time this fall at haul out and they worked great.
8. Replace the keel winch and cable. Glad I won't have to EVER do that again.
Things I need to do soon:
1. Resurface the cabin cushions.
2. New window curtains. (Pam's task)
3. Fix some blisters and seal bottom. Unless I decided to dry store boat. Its been in a slip for the years we owned the boat.
4. Rewire the boat so I can do more night sailing.
5. Sail more!!!:dance:

What have you done?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Well....... I hope you are sitting down. Our winters are mild enough to work on the boats, but a little too cold to go out every weekend.

Things I have done:
1. New Garelick mount
2. New Tiller and Extension
3. Installed stereo
4. Upgraded electrical panel and added another
5. Built a fuel Locker under tiller
6. Added Cockpit Cusions
7. Recovered all Cabin cusions
8. Added Curtains
9. Built a Roller Furler for my Genoa 150% Hank on
10. Changed out the Jam cleats to self contained cleat
11. rewired entire boat
12. Had it Documented through the USCG
13. Put a reef point in Main sail and added a "poor man's" reefing system
14. anchor bracket on bow pulpit
15.New lights throughout
16. Swing arm for Electronics in companionway
17. Painted entire interior

Probably a number of things I can' think of.

Things I need to do:
1. Enclose the head
2. work on storage
3. Add Cabin lights
4. new head
5. A few other things to keep it up to speed.

May 26, 2004
I forgot about adding reef points, got tired of watching other boats out. Not sure what you mean by "poor mans" reefing system. I generally don't mind heavy winds and with the proper sails, Pam doesn't mind either. Took the ASA Basic Keelboat and Basic Coastal Cruising classes on Lake Michigan.
I love the V25, it was an upgrade from the V21 (which I believe is a better sailing boat). I laugh reading about all the issues with the 26's what with the motor well issues(turning motor problems), rudder problems, weather helm and etc., etc. and Power Sailors, what for? I sail a midwest lake and dream about the Apostle Islands.

Attachments

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I too love the 25. I have sailed a lot of boats in my past, and I love the feel of the MAC. A little tender in high Bay Area winds, and swells, but I think it is a great boat, and so easy to pull I hardly know it's there.

Have you ever thought about bringing your boat out here to sail the Bay or Tahoe? I could take some time off work if you ever deide to come out.

I will post a few pics either tonight or in the coming week to my site, and to this thread.

THanks,

Gregg

May 26, 2004
Have you ever thought about bringing your boat out here to sail the Bay or Tahoe? I could take some time off work if you ever deide to come out.
We are not true trailer sailors. About the most I do is from storage to the marina at the beginning of the season and then 15 miles to the car wash at the end of the season. I hope to pull it up to the Apostle Island sometime soon, but things would have to change drastically for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.