Help me understand, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
I don't think I'm interested in the M, since I've read in some of these forums that older models, such as the X and the previous ones tend to be more solidly built -- I certainly can't comment either way, but I've read that in some forums. I'm also not particularly interested in the speed of either the X or M. When I first came upon the Macgregor 26 website, I was shocked that they were putting in 50 hp engines. On any other manufacturer's website I'd seen 9 hp as an example. I found Macgregors because of the water ballast and ability to trailer, and only after watching the video did I realize that they were marketed as much for being "power sailors" as for the water ballast.

I'm going to go back to the website Sumner mentioned to do more research. That's kind of where I started and got some of the info about the X and M, though I'm open in terms of model.

Thanks

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
so, whats your budget?

family sailing? (how important is spending night, cabin room?)

in the Chesapeake Bay area, I think you have 4' most everywhere, so I'd look for either a 26D or the 26s. The D being a little cheaper, and older.

but condition is everything on a boat this old...

you should be able to find nice examples around in the 6-10k range.

M25's typcially in the 4-6k range (heavy keel), smaller berths.

v17-23 less than 4k. (again, condition is key).
-but the heavy keels can be maintenance headaches...

ps: once you have your ASA's try to do some racing... put your name on the crew pool at the local yacht club... even if you are just 'rail meat' you will learn tons about sailing by getting out there on bigger boats...

May 12, 2010
so, whats your budget?

family sailing? (how important is spending night, cabin room?)

in the Chesapeake Bay area, I think you have 4' most everywhere, so I'd look for either a 26D or the 26s. The D being a little cheaper, and older.

but condition is everything on a boat this old...

you should be able to find nice examples around in the 6-10k range.

M25's typcially in the 4-6k range (heavy keel), smaller berths.

v17-23 less than 4k. (again, condition is key).
-but the heavy keels can be maintenance headaches...

ps: once you have your ASA's try to do some racing... put your name on the crew pool at the local yacht club... even if you are just 'rail meat' you will learn tons about sailing by getting out there on bigger boats...
In terms of budget, I first have to ensure that my family thinks that sailing is more than my "mid-life crisis." I've told them that having children was the real midlife crisis, and that sailling is something that I simply want to do for fun. My vision at this time is for daysailing with occasional overnights -- probably no more than a long weekend at a time if that. Cabin room is important though for when a sulky teenager wants to get away from his or her parents or vice versa. So, I don't have a budget number in mind, but I an definitely thinking used.

I've joined the sailing club at our local naval air station so I would have access to smaller boats (19s and 22s) for far less than chartering similar boats at commercial places. And they also have larger boats up to 42', and people have encouraged me to sign on as crew there as well for practice which I plan to do.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I just sold my Coronado 25' and went back to a Mac. I missed having something I could trailer, easily modify and take into shoal waters.

2 cents,

r

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I've been reading some of your comments and.....

I'd suggest a much different approach. Why not start out much smaller and see if you really want this hobby of sailing. My first sailboat was a board boat made by Snark (later AMF) called a Mach II, it was very much like the Sunfish with simple latten rigging. Both are car-topable. My next boat (and I still sail it) is a FJ, Flying Junior, I love this boat and even at my age (60) it's a real challenge to sail. While neither of these boats would be suitable for Bay sailing they did teach me a whole lot about sailing. The smaller boats can provide ample opportunities to learn about sailing and still be VERY affordable. There are many smaller trailerable boats that will allow you to get your feet wet. Sometimes I think about dumping the V25 for something smaller like a Highlander or a Flying Scot or a 505. These are boats to set your blood boiling in a stiff breeze. Take your sailing classes but don't overlook the opportunity to sail by the seat of your pants!

Perhaps some of you will be able to help me. I will be taking my sailing classes (ASA 101 and 103) this June, and hope to get into sailing. As I’ve anticipated the classes, I’ve also thought of the kind of boat I might like to own eventually. We hope to use the boat for daysailing with occasional overnights lasting up to a long weekend. Also, we would like to save on marina fees by having a trailerable, especially one that could come in at less than 3,500 lbs. We are interested in sailing in Chesapeake Bay and coastal areas (not blue water), in addition to lakes we might find anywhere in the country, hence our desire for a trailerable. This is why I was thinking about a MacGregor 26.

Any comments or perspectives would be appreciated, and thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
I think Phil's advice is good. You really do get a good feel for sailing in a board boat or a dinghy-type boat - one with no ballast. You feel the changes in the wind quicker and get a feel for their effect on boat speed.

I also agree with an earlier post - if you want to learn how to sail a big boat and more particularly, how to handle all the sails - upwind, downwind, on a reach, in all types of wind, you can't beat racing. Sign on as movable ballast, work hard, ask questions and read articles. It will first seem like too much but it will come together sooner than you would think. The first rule - the line goes around the winch clockwise.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
"arknoah " I'm not sure I can offer help in buying decision over whats already been said. (since you didn't answer my questions...)

I'm actually looking for something small, like a laser, or force 5, that I could launch in 10 minutes.

But I I'm not sure a 505 or FJ/ FS, will be that much easier to launch and rig than any macgregor or venture. (also I'd consider them mostly 'wet' boats, due to low freeboard and size.)

I'd suggest looking at the 26S (1990-1994?) you can fine nice ones for well under 10k, they have pretty large cabins, sail fast, and hold resale. get the 26D if you want to a save a few grand.

if you don't have that budget, go smaller, but I think the 22's are kind of small for a family..

Good luck!

once you are into the powersailers, you're looking at $15-18K to start.

May 12, 2010
I think given that I would like to have the whole family go out at times, I would certainly be open to sailing smaller vessels, but I don't think I would invest in one. If I find that I enjoy it and the family enjoys it, we would be looking at a 25-ish foot boat to purchase rather than small racers. This purchase would certainly be after this season, and after I gain some basic knowledge. My purpose for coming to this site was to continue my research. Thanks for all you comments and perspectives.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
My vision at this time is for daysailing with occasional overnights -- probably no more than a long weekend at a time if that. Cabin room is important though for when a sulky teenager wants to get away from his or her parents or vice versa.

As much as I hate carrying around a 700 chunk of steel there is one thing that keeps me from trading in my '84 Mac 25 for a newer 26 water ballasted 26s.

The cafe style booth is the reason.

We usually sail with another couple and this area is used alot mostly with the the top up.

Guys playing pirates in the cockpit, girls leaning aginst the hull with leggs on the seat snickering and tossing drinks to (at) us.

Girls playing pirates---------.

Four of us playing cards, looking at the gps track and laughing at each others sailing skils, or just --------------.

That takes care of 2 places on the boat, the cockpit and the booth but there is still 2 more places that I haven't mention.

The V berth offers three modes of separation.

First is the head in the V with the hatch open is one of the best places to sleep while sailing.

Second is with you back to the port side of the hull which allows you to read (listen to I tunes, etc.) and still see what is going on in the cockpit.

Third is with your back to the stbd. side which puts your head behind a wall and only your legs show.

The last place for soltice is the bow for a little sun bathing.

Now the 26s gives up the Booth but gains a queen sized berth under the cockpit which you could really hide in but might be a little noisey when under way.

So you see there are different spaces aboard even small sailboats.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Get an S and make that mod and be the first as far as I know to do it. I can see how it could be done ....

Sum

Spalin please.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Get an S and make that mod and be the first as far as I know to do it. I can see how it could be done ....

Sum

Spalin please.
Not for the faint of heart :), but really not that hard.

Cut the sink area down to the height of the starboard seat top. I'd leave about 6-8 inches behind the back of the seat to the structural bulkhead. Glass in a new plywood bulkhead aft of the old one, but leave some openings in it for storage compartments behind the seat back.

Cut an area out of the starboard seat area for your feet. Extend the starboard seat aft of the foot cutout over to the ladder (more storage under seat) and make a seat back over to the ladder.

Move the galley over to the port side above the old seat there. You could have storage to the.....

...right of the new sink like I put in.

Who knows now you have me thinking and this might be an option down the road, but for sure not this year :). I don't really see it taking that much time to do,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Uh-Oh, just explained this to Ruth :doh:...............she loves it and wants it :).............well like I said not this year (I don't think) :cry:,

Sum

May 12, 2010
See what happens when you make a suggestion, Sumner? It comes back to haunt 'ya!

Oct 19, 2009
MacGregor 1995 26S Fort Walton Beach, FL
I've joined the sailing club at our local naval air station so I would have access to smaller boats (19s and 22s) for far less than chartering similar boats at commercial places. And they also have larger boats up to 42'...

If I understand correctly, you have access to the base facilities and can rent sail boats from them up to 42'. If that's true, I would hold off buying anything. I have access to the base facilities and can rent their pontoon and fishing boats for about $200 per trip. If they had saillboats for rent, I would have held off buying anything until I knew that the family was into it as much as I am. If you can rent for $200-$300 per trip, you would save much money over buying the boat, outfitting it, insuring it, maintaining/repairing it. Having access to the motor boats at the base, I would never buy one. For $200 I can take it out all day, use their life jackets and gear, and return it for them to clean, store & repair.

I started crewing at the local yacht club during races but the problem was that I couldn't bring my family or camp out over night, which is why I really wanted to get into this in the first place. If you can rent a decent size sailboat (22-30 feet), do that for a few months or year until you find out if this is a family thing or not. Since we didn't have that option, I wanted to get into a decent size boat for not a lot of money--in case the family didn't enjoy it as much as I did. The MacGregor 26S was a good fit. A decent boat with lots of potential that I could get into for not a lot of cash.

Another major selling point for us was the trailerability but not in the way most people talk about it. All boats will require work, whether that is maintaining, repairing, or modifying. The question for me was where do I want to do this work. Having a wonderful wife and two small kids, I didn't want to be going off to the marina on the weekends to be messing with the boat. Sure I could take everyone but they would get bored. Having the boat on a trailer at home means I do all of my boat work here and am not leaving my wife and kids at home all day. Don't underestimate this feature.

good luck.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Having the boat on a trailer at home means I do all of my boat work here and am not leaving my wife and kids at home all day. Don't underestimate this feature.
I have to agree with the above.. if your working on the boat, its real nice to have close by. If the boat is far away, after some time, you will want to go to the boat a LOT more than your family will - sometimes that is good, sometimes bad. When I have my 1990 26S in a slip (usually only one month per year and its only about 15 minutes away), I love going to it, not so much the family - generally my wife is OK with this, the house stays cleaner when Im not there.

One thing which was mentioned was dealer support. If this is important to you because you cant or don't want to learn to do most things yourself, I would look for a newer boat. It was mentioned that the Mac 26M was cheaply built - I don't think this is really true and I think this would make a great first time boat - especially if you like the larger outboard feature. But for the new boats, I would also take a look at some other makes. If I was going to slip all the time, I would probably have an older Catalina 25 or 27 with deep keels. If I was retired and took extended trips, I maybe would get one of the Hunters (like the 26 water ballast boats) as even though the same length as the Mac 26S, they are really much larger boats- or.. maybe I would still have the same boat I do have - a 1990 26S (Im overall still very pleased with it after owning for 3 years).

The old 26S is in my opinion a really fine boat. BUT.. to turn them into really fine boats often means some level of rebuilding, sometimes re-designing. Most people who own them find this very enjoyable (including myself except when it comes to bottom paint and the trailer:eek:). The 26S is a "master" at trailer ability for its size but its comfortable enough to enjoy in a slip - ie, just going to the slip and hanging out on the boat is a good thing to do. Its fairly easy to tow long distances, the family (wife, I, two teenage boys, dogs) spend up to five nights on it and its "reasonably" comfortable to do this every once in a while. For a couple months of the year, I keep it on a mooring. When I retire (if this is ever possible), this boat will live in Colorado for about six months of the year and "hopefully" in a warmer place for six months - which will be fairly easy to do (at least the boat part of things).

Best of all, the old Mac can be an extremely economical boat to own - which is VERY important to me. But for it to be economical, you need to do your own work, somehow be able to avoid storage fee's. etc. You can not always keep boats this size at your home. I limit the slip and mooring time to keep this cost way down - also easy with this boat since its such a piece of cake to get in and out of the water. These boats sell for about the same price regardless of what mods are done to them so this money will be lost (but well worth it to most people) but you can almost own one of these boats for years and pretty much sell it for what you bought it for. And.. they are fairly easy to sell which is not true of all boats. The sailboat I had prior took me two years to sell.

May 12, 2010
If I understand correctly, you have access to the base facilities and can rent sail boats from them up to 42'. If that's true, I would hold off buying anything. I have access to the base facilities and can rent their pontoon and fishing boats for about $200 per trip. If they had saillboats for rent, I would have held off buying anything until I knew that the family was into it as much as I am. If you can rent for $200-$300 per trip, you would save much money over buying the boat, outfitting it, insuring it, maintaining/repairing it. Having access to the motor boats at the base, I would never buy one. For $200 I can take it out all day, use their life jackets and gear, and return it for them to clean, store & repair.
I believe I'm leaning in just this direction. My primary purpose in coming here was research -- I really wasn't prepared to purchase a boat now (or probably this season) -- but I know the kinds of things that are important to me now, and wanted to learn more about a boat that seemed to have what I was looking for.

We also own a Trailmanor travel trailer (trailmanor.com) which we purchased because it was light weight, yet it was a hard sided pop up. It gave the same interior space as a 32' travel trailer with only 25 foot towing length and the low profile of a large pop-up rather than the hulking height of a traditional travel trailer. From my admittedly limited perspective, the Macgregor is in many ways the sailing equivalent.

May 12, 2010
A couple of months ago, we purchased a very inexpensive racing-type boat, primarily because I thought this sailing thing would be more for me. Well, both of my kids have gotten excited about it, and my son is particularly good at it (though he has ticked me off a couple of times by not wanting to go sailing on the absolutely perfect days!). My wife also decided to give it a try, and the little boat got even littler quite quickly. So, pretty much out of nowhere, I was looking at boats for sale by a local non-profit called CRAB - Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating. During the season, they take both able bodied and disabled folks out for free sailing. They are supported by boat donations, which when sold, provide funds to purchase and outfit the boats they used. I purchased a used Mac 25 (1984) from them last weekend. I think it’s a great buy. I just spoke to the previous owner this evening, and he gave me some great tips.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I've ben sailing Ventures for 40+ years. I've had three, V-21, V-222 and V-25. I have raced in all the Pacific Coast long distance races, Ensenda, MDR to San Diego, etc. I'd say that's a bluewater boat. I have trailed as far south as Baja, Cal and as far North as Briitish Columbia. My wife and I used to sail to Catalina every year and drop anchor for a week. Lived quite comfortably. I can outsail a lot of boats that are supposed to kick my butt. I am not marina locked with a fixed keel. I've been to the plant in Costa Mesa. The 25's are all handlaid Glass opposed to "chopper gun" construction. I'M STILL AFLOAT!! Some Sailboaters are like some car owners, Elitists. Venture/Macs are well built and sturdy. You mentioned water ballast. Do you have a 25 iron keel or 26 water ballast? A lot of parts/accessories are available from aftermarket dealers such as Bluewater Yachts in Seattle Wa @ 800-688-8626. Fair Winds....

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Ha Ha this is like someone asking you why you married your wife....

I have to add that Macgregor is still making boats, so many companies went under in the 80s-90s, even those who made heavier built boats.

One has to match the tool to the job in mind. The water ballasted D that I own is a fast traveling, easy set up, low maintenence kind of sailing device. I believe that Macgregor made the boat as cheaply as possible, yet the design lends itself to high pointing and even light air sailing.

I occasionally service and install accessories on sailboats. I have crawled around a lot of sailboats, they all have an achilles tendon, just different. My own personal design avoidance involves windage, I think that is the reason a lot of Macs sail so well, the older models have less windage than many other boats.

If you wish to be elitist, I am working on a Nor'sea 27 that makes all of your puny boats look like crap, YET I bet my Mac will go to windward and leave the Nor'sea behind, Yet I would not take the Mac offshore, but Nor'seas have circumnavigated this earth.

I like the idea of sitting down and listing the attributes of your future sailboat. Might make an enlightening difference in the boat you should buy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.