Help - I did it!

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
As you can see I was trying to take my pedestal guard off and I was tapping it with a rubber blow hammer and I hit it a little to hard. Now the challenge is finding a new top plate?? or making one or what do you all suggest. Someone suggested making it out of starboard?

Bub

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like you broke it’s little arms off.

If you can drill holes in the correct places, it would be possible to do in Starboard. Pretty thin piece of metal. Your starboard would have to be several times thinker to support the stresses you put grabbing the guard while the boat is rocking. Can the pedestal take a thicker piece of material?

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Looks like you broke it’s little arms off.

If you can drill holes in the correct places, it would be possible to do in Starboard. Pretty thin piece of metal. Your starboard would have to be several times thinker to support the stresses you put grabbing the guard while the boat is rocking. Can the pedestal take a thicker piece of material?
The original piece is 1/4" the only issue I see if I add a thicker piece of starboard is the control levers they only can adjust so high!

Oct 22, 2014
Perhaps a stainless steel replacement can be designed and made by a local machine shop. Not sure of costs. But with the current economy it might not be too bad.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Perhaps a stainless steel replacement can be designed and made by a local machine shop. Not sure of costs. But with the current economy it might not be too bad.
I think I found one from Holland Marine in Canada 100 bucks shipped.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Bub,
Looks like you're going to have to have a machine shop fabricate a new one. Perhaps you can design the new one a bit thicker to the point that it doesn't interfere with your control levers. On the other hand, the original lasted for 35 years or so. Might have to shop it around to get a good price.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Bub,
Looks like you're going to have to have a machine shop fabricate a new one. Perhaps you can design the new one a bit thicker to the point that it doesn't interfere with your control levers. On the other hand, the original lasted for 35 years or so. Might have to shop it around to get a good price.
I just found one from Canada for 100 bucks shipped. Its on it way. Thanks guys
Here's the one there sending me.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Hey BigEasy, I still haven't hooked up my auto pilot . Planning on doing it this week.
Here's what Raymarine said couldn't be done. Hooking up my st60+ rudder display to my ev100 and running the
SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit

to the setup. It takes a moment to start. I'm holding the rudder transducer in my hand and turning it left to right.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
That looks good. No idea why delay. Looks like it is taking time to warm up. Is power balanced in the backbone?

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
it was only delayed because the video was running before I started turning the transducer

Oct 22, 2014
Ok. I was seeing your reflection in the video. Thought I saw you move the transducer then it moved. Then about mid way in video it appeared to move as you moved to starboard. Videos can be deceiving.

Looks like you did it.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
On to the next project. Since the pedestal is apart I might as well sand and repaint it. Primed and waiting to top coat it. I used rustoleum aluminum primer and going to top coat it with epoxy appliance white paint. The pictures below or right after I primed it. The 3rd and 4th pictures on the right are the completed job. This is the paint I used in case someone wants to use the same type.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have used that same paint on vent hoods in apartments. I find that it goes yellow in about 2 years. Given all of your hard work you may want to use a quality 2 part polly and gun it on. Just a thought.